Welcome to First Parish Chelmsford
Construction Update! Sunday services will be held the Chelmsford Center for the Arts for the last 2 summer services, 8/26 and 9/2
IT IS REALLY HAPPENING! Our building renovation project will start for real after Memorial Day. When it is all done, we will have a new elevator, an accessible entrance, bathrooms on both floors, and a sprinkler system. We will also be reconfigured in terms of offices, the parlor, classrooms and meeting spaces.
We are going to have to live with some chaos and temporary displacement. Here are some things to be aware of:
August:Our summer servicesare at 9 am and as of July 29th, we will be back at First Parish.
- The 2nd water main connection for our sprinkler system has been completed in the street. The connection still needs to be completed under the building and into the boiler room.
- We are about 1 ½ weeks behind on installing the fire sprinklers. We will have the manage the install and schedule closely, but should not miss the September 4th commit. Will now complete the RE Building first and juggle when we do the rest.
- Based on sprinkler issues above, we may have to juggle usage of sanctuary, chapel, kitchen/ vestry.
- Major design change to the office area to the left of the elevator shaft on the 2nd floor, what was to be the Music Director’s office. We now have a real code compliant HC ramp build next to Ellen’s old office/ the new Parlor Room. The original door and two steps heading into that office have been closed off. There is a new door into the Parlor on the right side of that room. The rest of the space has been carved up into two offices. One is for Steve and he has come in and reviewed the space. Dolores is considering moving across the hall and into this space as an office. Dolores has also reviewed the space in person. If she moves she will turn her old office into a classroom.
- We bumped out Ellen’s office two feet to be parallel with the hallway and added some square footage for her.
- The current back door on the chapel will be closed off when the new door is installed.
- Electrician starts this week.
- We will get a quote to replace the rear external door (near the chapel), it needs replacement at some point. We will also get a quote for new siding on the entire front of the building, in the contract there is a provision to replace or add siding where we made exterior changes.
- In the next week or two, we will have North Hill start to have discussions with the Building Inspector about approval for partial occupancy in late August/ early September so we can address any concerns in advance.
Welcome to First Parish of Chelmsford! We are a Unitarian Universalist congregation. While Unitarian Universalism began in the Protestant tradition, we have grown beyond our roots into a non-creedal faith, welcoming of different spiritual and theological perspectives. We invite everyone of good will to come to worship and to our community, in the fullness of who you are across age, race, gender, ethnicity, class, religious background, sexual orientation, ableness, and family. We gather to bring more hope, more joy, more peace, more love to one another and our world. Please join us.