Welcome to First Parish Chelmsford
Construction has begun!
IT IS REALLY HAPPENING! Our building renovation project will start for real after Memorial Day. When it is all done, we will have a new elevator, an accessible entrance, bathrooms on both floors, and a sprinkler system. We will also be reconfigured in terms of offices, the parlor, classrooms and meeting spaces.
We are going to have to live with some chaos and temporary displacement. Here are some things to be aware of:
July:We start our summer services, moving the worship time to 9 am, on June 24th. We have been able to rent space at the Chelmsford Center for the Arts across the street for June 24, July 8, July 15 and July 22. July 1 and July 29th, we will be back at First Parish.
Sprinkler installation starts after the 4th of July. The first week they will be in the RE Building, then will start to work in other areas of the building between July 12-16. We won’t know a more exact schedule until NE Fire comes on site. At this point, we need to prepare for the chapel, kitchen, vestry and sanctuary being off limits for a few days anytime between July 12 thru 27. Will share more detail when we get it.
- All demo is complete.
- Concrete footings poured for new outdoor ramp and elevator.
- Elevator shaft 95% complete, including cutting a hole thru out roof for the head room.
- Floor cut open in the hallway so new ramp into vestry can be installed soon. Plan is next week to install.
- Plumbers coming on site this week.
- New water main connection for fire sprinklers will not be installed on Westford Street until after the 4th. ToC asked that we wait just in case job wasn’t completed and hole filled in before the 4th parade and activities. Will not affect overall schedule.
- No big surprises yet after demo and exposing all the walls, floors, etc. Only item so far is that we need to replace our drain pipe to get to code, hoping only at $2-3K cost.
- We are re-evaluating the roof repair. May be able to keep the existing rubber coating and only replace some rotted sections underneath. Also reviewing status of shingles and if they should be replaced.
- Fire sprinkler install starts July 5 and will take 2-2.5 weeks. Will need to advise on exact dates when the chapel, kitchen, vestry and sanctuary will be off limits.
- I am pleased with communication and bedside manner of Walter Lorette and his on-site foreman. They have been flexible, easy to work with and accommodating
Welcome to First Parish of Chelmsford! We are a Unitarian Universalist congregation. While Unitarian Universalism began in the Protestant tradition, we have grown beyond our roots into a non-creedal faith, welcoming of different spiritual and theological perspectives. We invite everyone of good will to come to worship and to our community, in the fullness of who you are across age, race, gender, ethnicity, class, religious background, sexual orientation, ableness, and family. We gather to bring more hope, more joy, more peace, more love to one another and our world. Please join us.