October has seen us continue to put more pieces in place for Sunday Worship. We have heard audio recordings of the Senior Choir, and the Meetinghouse Ringers has been rehearsing for their return to the Sanctuary on November 21st. The Worship Committee has also been able to have people read chalice lightings and lead the Covenant in the Sanctuary, and they are currently recruiting people who would be interested in doing either of those remotely through audio recordings. At our retreat in early September, one of the Standing Committee’s concerns was how to keep the congregation connected during this challenging time. We knew that people’s ability to come to church in person would vary not only from one person to the next, but could also vary for everyone during year based on the changes in the Covid rates. One of the things that came out of that discussion was that it would be important to make sure that we had many different ways for people to get together outside of worship so that no matter how things went during the year, we would all still have opportunities to come together.
Below is a list of some events, social action projects, small groups, and discussion groups that are happening over the coming months. Some of them are ones we have done before, and some are new, but each of them will give you and change to get together with other First Parishers, in whatever way is best for you.
- Full Moon Reflective Labyrinth Walks, 7pm on the night of the full moon
- Thanksgiving Walk in the Woods (Thanksgiving Morning, see the Announcements/website)
- Christmas Cookie Deliveries (more info closer to Christmas)
- Christmas Green and Donuts (contact Aggie Brennan and Carla Corey)
- Community Table (3rd Saturday of the month, contact Rose Lerer or Frances Killam)
- Table of Plenty (Tuesday nights, contact Frans Janssen)
- Afghan Refugee Resettlement Volunteering with Team Chelmsford Faith in Action (contact Diana Keohane)
- First Friday Zoom Cafes (first Friday of the month, see the Announcements)
- Online Advent Retreat (contact Rev. Ellen)
- Online Lenten Retreat (in the spring)
- Exploring the Dao (January, contact Joan Coyne)
- New Men’s Small Group (2nd Wednesdays of the month, contact Tom Coffey)
- Or, join one of the existing Small Groups (contact Dolores)
- Soul Matters: Open Circle discussion of monthly theme (Last Sunday of every month, contact Dolores)
This is only a partial list of things that are happening this year at First Parish. As the year goes on, more will be added. Welcoming Congregation and CFAM also often host book or podcast discussions during the year, so keep an eye out for them as well. The Auction will be coming up again too. If you have an idea of something you would like to do, contact Dolores.
We would also like to remind you to fill out the Covid Task Force survey on our Worship Services if you haven’t had a chance to do that yet. They would be glad to have your feedback. https://fpchelmsford.breezechms.com/form/b5d3540
On behalf of your Standing Committee,