Jan 15 2009

December 9 2008 SC Minutes

FIRST PARISH UNIVERSALIST UNITARIAN CHURCH OF CHELMSFORD

Attendance – Tom Coffey, Marybeth Bush, Cornelia Kirkpatrick, Carole Russell, Ron Deschenes, Joanna Paulsen, Carla Corey

Standing Committee December 9, 2008 7:00 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.

1. Call to order and centering
• LESSONS FROM GEESE by Milton Olson

2. Open forum

3. Distribution of materials – Agenda, reports: treasurer, Minister, DRE, …

4. Review and approve meeting minutes for November 11
• Motion to approve meeting minutes from Nov 11 – Approved by all

5. New business
• Calendar – Carla
• Reviewed updated Fiscal timeline.
• ACTION – Dave S. will add performance appraisals to Fiscal Timeline.
• Retreat Outcomes – All
• Have not gotten reports back from Cindy Gist.
• Feedback from SC members were pretty good
• Carol received one written email and Ellen got an email saying that they didn’t realize they were committing themselves to another committee.
• ACTION – DAVE will put a thank you in the shooting star for everyone who contributed to the Retreat
• Furnace replacement update – Carole
o It was suggested that the LRP should have been more involved and did not think the furnace was as high a priority.
o The LRP would like to see documentation from someone that says that furnace is not in good shape and needs to be replaced. Would also like to see what the competing bids are.
o The LRP thinks that we should bleed the lines and see if that fixes the heat in the chapel.
o Green committee hired someone to evaluate the building that resulted in a report that said that the furnace should be replaced.
o Carole has been sent the three quotes that we have received.
o We were planning on having a vote on Sunday (Dec 7) after church on the new furnace.
• Space and Growth Task Force Charter proposal – Carole (see proposal below)
o Carol met with them and told them to focus on getting the architecture reviews done.
o ACTION – We need to set a date to get report on architecture review. – Carole
o Need to renew the charter of the Task Force
o Thought we got good ideas from the Covenant Retreat
o Seems to be some confusion between Long Range Planning and Space and Growth Task Force.
o ACTION – Dave will ask friend about furnace
1. Do they usually go after 35 years?
2. Should we wait until the spring for a better price?
o New Charter for the Space and Growth task force
1. Littleton Church has a growth issues and went to two services.
2. There will be multiple phases for the LRP to reach in their goal or addressing the church’s space and growth needs.
3. ACTION: Tom Coffey and Marybeth will work on a plan for communicating where we are and what is going on with the Growth and Space task force.
4. ACTION: Carole will meet with Growth and Space and go over charter with them.
• Leila asked if we should give the over-eaters anonymous a break on price because the chapel has been so cold.
o We decided to leave a price break up to Leila.
• Snowplowing
o Hired Keith Russell to do plowing.
o Martha Sherborn wants them to avoid the new gardens.
o It will be hard for the snowplow to avoid those areas because there is no other place to put the snow.
o ACTION: Carole is going to try to get a phone number for the snowplow guy.

6. Review and approve treasurer’s report
• Should the money that is targeted to come out of the investment account and put into a non-volatile account.
• The board of investment will be included in this discussion.

7. Review Submitted reports:
• Minister
• DRE/RE

8. Old business:
• New cell tower –Tom Coffey
o Heavy construction done.
o Organ is being tuned tomorrow (Wed 10th).
o Need to do a little painting.
o They will do a walkthrough with Tom Coffey on Thursday (Dec 11th).
o They have been very cooperative.
o They have met the deadlines that were agreed to.
o Building inspectors have come in.
o The arm of a pew was damaged and Johan is going to try to fix it.
o We have started receiving income.
• Dishwasher update – Marybeth
o We are now looking into used and refurbished because the new ones were too expensive.
• Snow Shovel hiring date – recommend November 1 – to be done by Cindy Gist
o Have someone to come and do the shoveling.
o $50 each trip.
o Will come if over 2” on the ground.
o Will sand and salt.
o Motion made to accept the offer to shovel the walks – passed unanimously.
• Finance sub committee update
o Next fiscal summit planned for January 10, 2009. 9:30 – 12:00 in the chapel.
• Action Item list update
o See list below
• Auction
o Cornelia will mentor but we still need someone to run the auction
• Furnace discussion on Sunday
o We will ask Deb Grad to moderate.
• Ellen’s sabbatical
o Hope to have the interim minister hired by March

9. Other staff, subcommittee or liaison reports
• Put Church credit card on future agenda (to buy things over the web).
• Review covenant at the next meeting.
• Talk next meeting about how to store Holiday fair items.
• Toastmasters are interested in renting the vestry. The fee is $75/month and they would like a break.
1. They meet twice a month.

10. Adjourn: Motion to adjourn, seconded, All Approved

Next Month Agenda:
Fiscal Summit preparation
Charter Update
Review of our “covenant”

Future Agenda items:
• Safe Child Policy – Review and update

Action Items
# Action Owner Due Date Status Creation Date
1 Come up with a procedure for checks and balances of the collection plate Carla Oct 7 Open Sep 9
2 Remove $450 in petty cash that is not there from balance sheet Joanna Oct 7 Open Sep 9
3 Talk to Cindy about amending the annual report showing that $450 in petty cash was handled by SC Carla Oct 7 Remove
Sep 9
4 Plan to insure LRP included in audit Carla Dec New March
5 Cornelia will work with the Standing committee to put together an intern Minister committee. By next SC meeting Cornelia Nov 11 Deferred see action #1 Oct 9
6 SC will ask around for people who can run the Church Auction All Dec 14 Open Oct 9
7 Tom W. will send Dave this timeline and Dave will add to a compiled timeline (by Nov SC meeting).
Tom/Dave Dec 14 ongoing Oct 9
8 Look into wireless phone to keep in office Dave Dec 14 On-going Nov 11
9 Find out from LRP what is priority of Kitchen issues and what needs to get done right away. Joanna Dec 9 Open Nov 11
10 Look into seeing if Intern might cost less. Ellen Dec 9 ongoing Nov 11
11 Look into UUA grants for Intern Minister Joanna Dec 9 ongoing Nov 11
12 Dave S. will add performance appraisals to Fiscal Timeline
Dave Jan 13 Remove
Dec 9
13 DAVE will put a thank you in the shooting star for everyone who contributed to the Retreat Dave Dec 12 Open Dec 9
14 We need to set a date to get report on architecture review Carole Jan 13 Open Dec 9
15 Dave will ask friend about furnace Dave Dec 11 Open Dec 9
16 Tom Coffey and Marybeth will work on a plan for communicating where we are and what is going on with the Growth and Space task force Tom C. and Marybeth Jan 13 Open Dec 9
17 Carole will meet with Growth and Space and go over charter with them. Carole Jan1 13 Open Dec 9
16 Carole is going to try to get a phone number for the snowplow guy Carole Jan 13 Open Dec 9

Standing Committee

The Standing Committee is the Church's governing board. The Standing Committee works to ensure the vitality of our community of faith. There are 10 members of the Standing Committee – nine voting members elected by the congregation and the minister, who is a non-voting member of the Committee. Standing Committee members serve a 3 year term.

The Standing Committee meets on the second Tuesday of the month at 7:00pm. Time is set aside at the beginning of every SC meeting as an open forum for members to bring forward any issues they would like to discuss.

The Standing Committee is responsible for the health and well being of First Parish. This includes maintaining communication among members and committees, managing Church property, and planning for the Church's short and long-term future. And of course members of the Standing Committee develop and manage the budget approved by the Congregation at the annual meeting.
The Human Resources Committee is a sub-committee of the Standing Committee.