Apr 15 2009

March 2009 SC Minutes

FIRST PARISH UNIVERSALIST UNITARIAN CHURCH OF CHELMSFORD

Standing Committee March 10, 2009 7:00 p.m. – 9:30 p.m

Attendance: Carole Russell, Ellen Spero, Tom Coffey, Marybeth Bush, Ron Deschenes, Dave Seltz, Tom Wight, Carla Corey, Joanna Paulsen, Cornelia Kirkpatrick

1. Call to order and centering

2. Open forum

3. Distribution of materials – Agenda, reports: treasurer, Minister, DRE, …

4. Review and approve meeting minutes for February10
Minutes accepted. All Approved.

5. New business
• LRP rechartering / combining and possible elected positions – Tom Wight Update
• Tom will get material from Paul Taylor that was put together years earlier on possible ways to combine committees at First Parish.
• In 1994 the committee structure was reviewed and some suggestions were given for how things can be restructured.
• Alternative Service discussion – Ellen
o Carla, Ellen, Tom, Cyndi, Sadie, and Joan Keane met to talk about having a second service in the evening.
o They are going to have a meeting on the March 25th to make a proposal
o This group is thinking to start the second service on the second or third Sunday after the return from the summer.
o They want to make sure we don’t end up with two parallel, separate, congregations.
o They want to start with something that is an alternative in the evening and see how it goes and then evaluate at midyear.
o Sadie has a task to work with RE committee to see how RE would work with two services
o Cyndi Bliss is going to touch base with music committee.
o Have to work out Ushers, greeters, etc.
o Look at how to handle nursery services.
o We would lose money from AA unless we can move them.
• Kitchen plan – Ron
o Ron spoke with Moira Gillis (has worked in kitchens and restaurants and has begun attending First Parish) about how our kitchen would do if it were inspected.
o Moira did not see any major issues with the kitchen.
o She said to make sure to keep everything off the floor six inches.
1. Refrigerator.
2. Grease hoods.
o Refrigerators need thermometers to make sure they are in the right temperature range.
o Back room storage area could use more sealed bins for edibles.
o Keep mop and bucket in the kitchen to clean up quick spills (for cleanliness and safety).
o We thought the wood block might be an issue but Moira did not think it would be and neither did Dave Allen (also has experience in this matter). Maybe have a special cutting board for meat that can be easily cleaned. Should not cut meat on the counter.
o Maybe need separate sinks for washing hands and for washing dishes.
o Have instructions posted for cleaning hands, cooking, etc.
o Joanna Paulsen will be included in the group working on the kitchen going forward.
o ACTION: Marybeth will communicate with Jeanne Thompson to let her know what actions are being taken to make sure Kitchen passes inspection.
o Was there an ACTION item for someone to send a thank you to Moira? Maybe it was Ron?
o Two areas of concern.
1. Food prepared at home cannot be sold? We do this all the time (and certainly schools do this as well) so we want to get more information on this. This may be a legal issue and the suggestion was made to maybe have a lawyer look at this.
2. How about food that we cook here and take somewhere else?
3. There is Good Samaritan protection that we get because we’re a church that might help to protect us against lawsuits.
• Next steps
1. Professional cleaners maybe?
a. Clean hood.
b. Steam clean floor.
c. Walter Cole knows a company can clean.
2. ACTION: Marybeth will look into the Good Samaritan law and how it applies to legal issues with serving food in church.
3. ACTION: Dave will look into insurance and how it covers us for serving food.
• Farmer’s Market – Carole
o Starting this summer Chelmsford farmers market on the common every Thursday from 2-6pm.
o They will be done before 7pm
o Offer vegetables, baked goods, etc.
o July 9th through September 24th.
o ACTION: Dave will give music director a heads up that Farmers market will be going on when she is using the church.
o They are looking for volunteers for all kinds of things – contact Peggy Dunn
o Should the Church do anything in support of the Farmers Market?
1. Maybe the Green Committee?
• Letter of call and Performance Appraisal for Ellen – Carole
o Suggestion made to Ellen that we don’t deal with letter of call until Ellen comes back. So that is what we’re going to do.
o For performance appraisal – Suggestion made not to do performance appraisal right now because:
1. No upside for doing it now – Since Ellen is leaving for sabbatical she would not be able to work on suggestions right away. Also it might just serve to worry Ellen right as she is leaving for Sabbatical.
2. While Ellen’s reviews have always been good in general most reviews point out areas of improvement.
3. Would be one less thing Ellen has to deal with (she is very busy preparing for Sabbatical and for New Orleans in April).
4. Ellen would rather skip it now as opposed to have half of an appraisal.
5. Ellen would like to evaluate the sabbatical time and goals when we are back to church in the fall.

6. Review and approve treasurer’s report
• Carole gets a gold star for great transition (from Joanna).
• Carole has given a first shot at entering this year’s budget.
• We use Quick Books for non-Profit to keep our books.
• Carole has not done a full analysis of the budget yet.
• We are ahead of schedule with pledges.
• Carole put together budget vs. actual for July 1 2008 – March 10, 2009 and reviewed with SC.
• Cindy Gist will be paying regular bills (utility bills, etc) going forward.
• Carole’s expectation is that before the fiscal summit on March 21st she will have a first pass at next years budget done.
• Treasurer’s report is approved by all.
• Carole is looking at ways to further automate the budget process.

7. Review Submitted reports:
• Minister
1. Report reviewed by Standing Committee.
2. Ellen is very busy preparing for Sabbatical and for New Orleans trip.
3. 22 people signed up for New Orleans trip.
4. ACTION: Marybeth will draft a note to thank Sadie for the work being put into the New Orleans trip.
• DRE/RE report
1. Report reviewed by Standing Committee.

8. Old business:
• Sabbatical minister – Cornelia
o Have interviewed three candidates for the sabbatical minister and have recommended one of them, Jonathan Rehmus of Colrain MA
o Interview committee was Sandy Johnston, Cindy Gist, Glenn King, and Carole Russell.
o The sabbatical committee thought one of the ministers was good and seemed prepared.
o We have asked for the sabbatical minister to work 10 hours a week
o Standing committee had vote on sabbatical minister as recommended by the Sabbatical committee. All Approved.
o We said we wanted more hours earlier in the sabbatical period (May and June) and fewer hours in July from the minister.
o Ellen spoke to leading candidate for two hours. This candidate knows what it means to be a Sabbatical minister. Candidate seems to like being a Sabbatical Minister.
o ACTION: Cornelia will write a note to thank the Sabbatical committee for work they have done on helping prepare for Ellen’s sabbatical.
• Furnace, Dishwasher updates
o Furnace is all set except there is one room (Chapel Narthex) without heat.
o Dishwasher is all installed. Company has to come out and inspect it and then we have to be trained.
o ACTION: Dave will write thank you note to Walter and Johan for the work they did on the new dishwasher and the furnace.
• Action Item list update
• Fiscal Summit update – Meeting to plan fiscal summit will be held on Sunday Morning the 15th.

9. Other staff, subcommittee or liaison reports
• Church council wanted to know if outgoing publicity communication needs to be checked by SC committee – No it does not as long as it is just an announcement of an event.
• Nominating committee has filled out its roster for June except for one position.
10. Adjourn – All Approved – 9:30

Next Month Agenda:
• Review of our “covenant”

Future Agenda items:
• Safe Child Policy – Review and update

# Action Owner Due Date Status Creation Date
1 Come up with a procedure for checks and balances of the collection plate Carla Oct 7 In Progress Sep 9
2 Plan to insure that LRP is included in audit Carla June (plan) New March
3 Cornelia will work with the Standing committee to put together an intern Minister committee. By next SC meeting Cornelia March September 09 Oct 08
4 Find out from LRP what is priority of Kitchen issues and what needs to get done right away. Tom April 14 Open Dec 9
5 Make sure we publicize getting the new credit card problems with by-laws Carole March 10, 2009 Open Feb 10
6 Send a Thank you to Chelmsford woman of today Ellen Feb 10 Open Jan 13
9 Communicate with Jeanne Thompson to let her know what actions are being taken to make sure Kitchen passes inspection. Marybeth April 14 Open March 10
10 Look into the Good Samaritan law and how it applies to legal issues with serving food in church Marybeth April 14 Open March 10
11 Look into insurance for serving food in church Dave April 14 Open March 10
12 Give music director a heads up that Farmers market will be going on when she is using the church. Dave April 14 Open March 10
13 Draft a note to thank Sadie for the work being put into the New Orleans trip Marybeth April 14 Open March 10
14 Write a note to thank the Sabbatical committee for work they have done on helping prepare for Ellen’s sabbatical Cornelia April 14 Open March 10
15 Dave will write thank you note to Walter and Johan for the work they did on the new dishwasher and the furnace Dave April 14 Open March 10
Action Items

Standing Committee

The Standing Committee is the Church's governing board. The Standing Committee works to ensure the vitality of our community of faith. There are 10 members of the Standing Committee – nine voting members elected by the congregation and the minister, who is a non-voting member of the Committee. Standing Committee members serve a 3 year term.

The Standing Committee meets on the second Tuesday of the month at 7:00pm. Time is set aside at the beginning of every SC meeting as an open forum for members to bring forward any issues they would like to discuss.

The Standing Committee is responsible for the health and well being of First Parish. This includes maintaining communication among members and committees, managing Church property, and planning for the Church's short and long-term future. And of course members of the Standing Committee develop and manage the budget approved by the Congregation at the annual meeting.
The Human Resources Committee is a sub-committee of the Standing Committee.