Nov 15 2008

October 14 2008 SC Minutes

FIRST PARISH UNIVERSALIST UNITARIAN CHURCH OF CHELMSFORD

Standing Committee October 14, 2008 7:00 p.m. – 9:30 p.m
Members Present: Carole Russell, Dave Seltz, Carla Corey, Tom Coffey, Tom Wright, Joanna Paulsen, Cornelia Kirkpatrick, Ron Deschenes, Ellen Spero
Members Absent: Marybeth Bush

1. Call to order and centering
• For center we saw a clip from The Vicar of Dibley – Sat night at 9pm on PBS

2. Open forum
• Minutes from previous SC meeting do not have to be printed out for the meeting as long as they have been emailed to every SC member and every member confirms they have reviewed the minutes.

3. Distribution of materials – Agenda, reports: treasurer, Minister, DRE, …

4. Review and approve meeting minutes for September 9
• Motion made and seconded to approve the Meeting minutes from September – Approved
• Motion made and seconded to approve the Meeting minutes from special meeting Oct 5th Approved

5. New business
• Sabbatical Committee – Cornelia
• Contacted parishes that have gone through a sabbatical recently
• Will meet 10/28 at noon in the Alliance Parlor
• Have all but three services covered.
• Sabbatical ministers are available to do funerals, etc.
• Sabbatical minister will usually do one or two services.
• Calendar – Carla
• Suggestions for additions to Annual Calendar
i. Letter to Historic District Commission for signage to events
ii. Snow Shovel hiring date – Will be in October
iii. Fiscal Summits – all fiscal stuff
1. Three summits (Oct, Jan, March)
2. Finance sub-committee will come up with a plan for Fiscal summits by end of Oct.
iv. Lions Club – Send church a letter to ask if they can use our Parking lot for the forth of July
1. We must talk about it ahead of time.
2. Since we had the lot painted they cannot use paint on the lot
3. We will talk about this is mid- march
v. Annual Meetings  warrant dates
1. One to vote in new officers – 2nd week in June
a. Warrant for this meeting has be done by May SC meeting.
2. State of Society Meeting – Third Sunday in September – (9/20)
a. Warrant for this meeting has to be ready by the September SC meeting
vi. Church Auction first Saturday in February (2/7/2009)
1. [ACTION] – SC will ask around for people who can run the Church Auction
2. Need to Decide by Dec SC Meeting
vii. GA Delegates – Decide on delegates by March SC meeting.
1. Maybe one of the Sabbatical worship services will be based on GA.
viii. Performance appraisal timeline …
1. [ACTION] Tom W. will send Dave this timeline and Dave will add to a compiled timeline (by Nov SC meeting).
ix. Holiday Fair is Dec 6th.
x. November 15th there is a church retreat.
xi. At Church Council Meeting in January the Finance Committee has to tell committee members when to get budgets in
1. There is a form for committee members to fill out to request a budget
a. This form should be updated to request more information so that we don’t miss items in the budget.

• State of the Society review – All
• What can be improved?
1. Be proactive on the space report and have forum for people to participate
a. Just a half hour after the church services in the chapel
b. [ACTION] Task force for Growth will plan forum for people to input on space report (by end of Feb).
• Space for Cyndi Bliss
• It was decided that Cindy Bliss would use the Chapel Loft for an office space.
• Space and Growth
• Ministry group has not met yet.
• Space and Growth (nuts and bolts group submitted report and is waiting to hear what they should do next).
• They should get architect review.
• Can they put together a plan for a capital improvement fund (way to get more money for changes).
• Johan went to four architect companies
1. We got three preliminary reports
2. Should be able to come to November Standing Committee with a recommendation for a firm to go with.
• [ACTION] Tom will talk to Space and growth about funding
• Retreat Planning – Carole, Ellen, Marybeth, Tom
• Logistics See attached notes below
• Goal is to recognize and celebrate how we are living our covenant today.
• Should make sure to include the Committee on Ministry and Growth Ministry.
• How do we grow in our covenant?
• Find a facilitator (Ellen will contact Larry P. and other possibilities, and we will discuss also to facilitate internally, maybe Ellen and Carole)
• Publicity
• Invitations, Sign-Up, and Follow Up calls (Cindy invitations, SC make calls?)
• Space (Marybeth check out Charter School, Ellen All Saints)
• Childcare
• [ACTION] Retreat planning committee will meet to approve agenda and to help get the word out.
• Food (Carole and Marybeth)…
• [ACTION] Tom will create list of names to split out to give to SC members to call to make sure people know about the meeting and see if they will attend
• Publicity Committee??

6. Review and approve treasurer’s report
• Metro-media can save us about 25% (for gas, not electricity). Joanna will have another conversation with them and then report to the SC.
• Motion made to accept the treasurer’s report. Seconded. All Approved.

7. Review Submitted reports:
• Ministers report: Ellen wants to thank Kirk and Cornelia for getting the pictures up in the Alliance Parlor.
• DRE/RE

8. Old business:
• Plan for Intern FY09-10
 Need a committee right away to start this process going.
 Cost would be about $1300/mo
 [ACTION] Cornelia will work with the Standing committee to put together an intern Minister committee. By next SC meeting.
 This can either be a three-year committee or two committees (one to put the intern in place and a different one work with the intern once it’s in place).
• New cell tower –Tom C
o Lease was signed last week (10/7)
o Next step is to meet with construction site manager to determine what the want to do and make sure it fits with the church schedule
• Dishwasher update – Marybeth absent, will be on next month’s agenda
• Pew Cushions update – no activity
• Snow Shovel hiring date – recommend November 1 – to be done by Cindy Gist
o Can’t find anyone to do the shoveling to do the shoveling for what we are offering.
o Wants to consider a professional “shoveler”.
o Will wait for the next meeting to decide this.
o [ACTION] Carla will make sure everyone get’s Cindy’s email on the subject.

9. Other staff, subcommittee or liaison reports
• Church Council
• Green Committee wants to have an electronics recycle event at the church
a. They would like to store equipment in Chapel for several days between drop-off and pick-up. Ellen feels that the Chapel is a worship space and should not be used for that purpose
b. It was unclear what the benefit of a separate event would be as SC members thought most communities had programs in place for electronics recycling
c. Needs to be thought through more thoroughly
• It was mentioned that Edith is happy with social hour.
• There is no one in the publicity committee
a. Music committee said there was a need for this.
• LRP is looking for members
• Middlesex singers have not gotten back to us yet.

11. Adjourn – Motion to adjourn, seconded, All Approved

Future Agenda items:
• Safe Child Policy – Review and update

Action Items
Action Owner Due Date Status Creation Date
Task force for Growth will plan forum for people to input on space report (by end of Feb). Cornelia/Ellen Nov 11 New Oct 9
Tom will talk to Space and growth about funding Tom Nov 11 New Oct 9
Retreat planning committee will meet to approve agenda and to help get the word out.
Retreat Planning cmt. Nov 11 New Oct 9
Tom will create list of names to split out to give to SC members to call to make sure people know about the meeting and see if they will attend Tom C. Nov 11 New Oct 9
Cornelia will work with the Standing committee to put together an intern Minister committee. By next SC meeting Cornelia Nov 11 New Oct 9
Carla will make sure everyone get’s Cindy’s email on the subject Carla Nov 11 New Oct 9
SC will ask around for people who can run the Church Auction Nov 11 New Oct 9
Tom W. will send Dave this timeline and Dave will add to a compiled timeline (by Nov SC meeting).
Tom/Dave Nov 11 New Oct 9

Notes: All Congregational Retreat “Living our Covenant”
September 30, 2008

Goals of the Retreat:
1) To recognize and celebrate how we live our covenant today.
2) To explore how to deepen living our covenant and to articulate what that could look like.

Date: Saturday, November 15 from 9 am to 2 pm.

Proposed Schedule

9 am-9:15: Gathering and Coffee

9:15-9:30: Centering Worship (Ellen)

9:30-9:45: Set out goals/schedule for the day

10:00-10:30: In small groups, review covenant for how we are living out our covenant today

10:30-10:45: Report Out

10:45-11:00: Self Selection for groups to discuss how to live out our covenant for the future. Groups based on lines in covenant:
-Honoring and Celebrating the Spirit of Life
-Welcoming All Souls in our search for truth and the sacred
-Nurturing and caring for one another in our joys and sorrows
-Bearing Witness through service to justice and peace
-Being Good Stewards of:
-our congregation
-our heritage and UU Principles
-our earth

11:00-11:45: Small group discussions how to deepen living out our covenant in the future.

11:45-Noon: Congregational Polity, Process, and Decision Making

Noon-12:45: Lunch

12:45-1:15: Small Groups pick one or two things to commit to, create action plan
(define who, what, when, where, why and how; offer short, mid and long terms goals, with evaluation points to measure progress)

1:15-1:30: Report Out

1:30-1:45: Closing Worship

1:45-2:00: Evaluation?

To Do’s and Tasks:
-Find a facilitator (Ellen will contact Larry P and other possibilities, and we will discuss also to facilitate internally, maybe Ellen and Carole)
-Publicity
-Invitations, Sign-Up, and Follow Up calls (Cindy invitations, SC make calls?)
-Space (Marybeth check out Charter School, Ellen All Saints)
-Childcare
-Food (Carole and Marybeth)

Standing Committee

The Standing Committee is the Church's governing board. The Standing Committee works to ensure the vitality of our community of faith. There are 10 members of the Standing Committee – nine voting members elected by the congregation and the minister, who is a non-voting member of the Committee. Standing Committee members serve a 3 year term.

The Standing Committee meets on the second Tuesday of the month at 7:00pm. Time is set aside at the beginning of every SC meeting as an open forum for members to bring forward any issues they would like to discuss.

The Standing Committee is responsible for the health and well being of First Parish. This includes maintaining communication among members and committees, managing Church property, and planning for the Church's short and long-term future. And of course members of the Standing Committee develop and manage the budget approved by the Congregation at the annual meeting.
The Human Resources Committee is a sub-committee of the Standing Committee.