Dec 15 2008

November 2008 SC Minutes

FIRST PARISH UNIVERSALIST UNITARIAN CHURCH OF CHELMSFORD

Standing Committee November 11, 2008 7:00 p.m. – 9:30 p.m
Members Present: Carole Russell, Dave Seltz, Carla Corey, Tom Coffey, Tom Wight, Joanna Paulsen, Cornelia Kirkpatrick, Ron Deschenes, Ellen Spero, Marybeth Bush
Members Absent:

Meeting Notes

1. Call to order and centering

2. Open forum
• Sign – Chris Boucher, from LRP, came to speak about construction of the replacement sign for the front of the church
1. Sign would be made of PVC (material passed around)
2. Will see if the letters could be raised.
3. Can have bottom of the sign display temporary letters.
4. Will look to see if the temporary words or sentences can be secured.
5. Maybe only allow sentences.
6. Similar sign on powers road in Westford.
7. Preference is PVC posts (would be encapsulated in concrete footings
8. Will probably happen in the Spring
9. Instead of having “church” on the sign maybe is should say something like “all are welcome”.
10. Cost would be $1500 – $2000 (for large sign)
11. The sign cost is in this year’s budget.
12. Will have to go in front of HDC (Historic District Cmt) and then get permit.
13. During Annual meeting it was said that the congregation would be given the opportunity to give input.
• Should the Welcoming Congregation committee be a ministry?
1. We only have “committees listed in the by-laws
2. Their charter calls them a committee so that is what they are.
• Yahoo groups for Welcoming Congregation committee.
1. Two groups- one for internal – committee business
2. Other for communication with larger group.
3. Chairs would be group owners
4. Would be private group so would not appear in directory. – So there should be no spam, etc.
5. [ACTION] Tom Coffey will ask web site group if they have a way to keep track of different church email groups.
6. [ACTION] Carole will ask Cindy Gist to put yahoo group in the shooting star.
7. Maybe a list of email groups in the shooting Star
8. Motion made to approve Yahoo email group for the Welcoming Congregation committee and that the web site group will research the use of email groups– All approved.

3. Distribution of materials – Agenda, reports: treasurer, Minister, DRE, …

4. Review and approve meeting minutes for October 14
• Motion made to approve October 14 meeting minutes – All approved

5. New business
• Calendar – Carla
• Went over 2008-2009 First Parish Fiscal/Budge timeline
• Need to find a chair for the Auction tentatively planned for Feb 7
• Retreat Planning – Carole, Ellen, Marybeth, Tom Coffey
o How is phone tree going?
o Right now the number of people who say they will attend is at 47.
o [ACTION] SC members who have not called their phone tree numbers by this Saturday.
o [ACTION] Carla will talk to membership about people they have spoken to about Retreat.
o How many people are we expecting? Need to order food.
o Childcare – Marybeth
o [ACTION] Tom Coffey will check on how many flip charts we have. We will need 8 for the retreat.
• Canvass timing – suggestion for April 5 canvas Sunday – Carole, Ellen
• Choir loft
o Cyndi Bliss has moved her office to the Chapel loft.
o Johan Mackenzie has a file cabinet for house management in Choir loft
o We need to carpet the Choir loft.
o We need to talk to Cyndi about carpet in Choir loft (acoustics issues)
o We bought chairs for choir loft for $1059
o We have hymnals we don’t use anymore and six file tall cabinets with music.
• Phone line into alliance room was ~$400 so Carole said no.
o [ACTION] Dave will look into wireless phone to keep in office
• Handicap signs
o Who is supposed to put the signs out? Ushers or Leila?
o The ushers don’t get here on time.
o Will keep the handicap sign on a spot in the parking lot.
• Heat detectors
o Alarm company said that our heat detectors need to be replaced
o Cost would be about $2000
o Motion made to go spend up to $2000 and replace the heat detectors – All Approved
• Who in SC will be House Management Liaison? –
o There is only one person and no committee
o Carole will be Liaison
o [ACTION] Joanna will find out from LRP what is priority of Kitchen issues and what needs to get done right away.
o Jessica the cleaner really thinks that the floor in the kitchen needs to be steam cleaned.
o Motion made that if steam cleaning the kitchen floor costs $500 or less we will go ahead and do it. All Approved.
• Kitchen
o Floor needs to be steam cleaned in kitchen
o Butcher block needs to be sanded down
o Need to replace frig with freezer
o Kitchen Window.
o Replace glass and seal it.
• Furnace replacement – Should we have a congregational meeting to vote funds < $15,000 o Best Green furnace does not make sense for us because of the way we use the furnace o There is an efficient one and the Green committee approved. ($16,530 with installation) o Not in the LRP budget for this year. o Right now there is no heat getting to the Chapel because pipes are bad (this would be included in installation of new furnace) o Do we want to have a congregational vote to spend extra money to buy new furnace. o To keep current furnace a little longer would cost $1000 maintenance but that is not guaranteed to fix heating of Chapel. o Johan is seeing if the new Furnace can handle any additions (extra zones). o Congregational meeting on Dec 7th to determine if we will spend money on furnace. o Motion made to have a warrant to use money from FY’08 surplus funds to buy new furnace. Congregation meeting would be on Dec 7th. All approved. o [ACTION] Carla will draft warrant to use surplus funds from last year’s budget to buy new furnace. o We will cancel meeting if Johan determines we are not ready (furnace is not suitable. 6. Review and approve treasurer’s report • The Needy fund is very low (91% is already used) • [ACTION] Cornelia will submit a faith in action grant for $1500. • Motion made to approve the treasurer’s report. All approved. 7. Review Submitted reports: • Minister 1. How should Christmas Eve collection be used? 2. Money will go to Ministers discretionary fund. 3. How should money set aside to be used for New Orleans trip be used? • DRE/RE 8. Old business: • Sabbatical Committee – Cornelia o They talked with Harvard and Groton. They said that constant communication was important o They said that Sabbatical minister was important (memorial services, health crisis, support staff, congregation) o 10 hours a week would be enough time for Sabbatical minister (according to Ellen). o Sabbatical committee and HR would be part of interview process. • Cyndi Bliss office space, choir loft clean up - Carole • Plan for Intern FY09-10 – Carole  Because of economy we are putting this off for a year. • We also want to take our time to do a good job.  Will set aside money in the budget for next year.  Are there grants from UUA to help with this?  [ACTION] Ellen will look into seeing if Intern might cost less.  [ACTION] Cornelia is going to look into UUA grants. • New cell tower –Tom Coffey o Started a week later o Progressing quickly o Metal beams up to re-enforce o Organ getting tuned on Dec 10th – so they have to get it done by then. o They have been communicating with us well. o Started on Nov 3 so that is when we should start to get funds • Dishwasher update – Marybeth o Spoke to people from United Restaurant Equipment – They said we need a new dishwasher o They said that $6000 would probably not be enough. o They said we should use hot water sanitizer (which is more expensive). • Pew Cushions update • Snow Shovel hiring date – recommend November 1 – to be done by Cindy Gist 9. Other staff, subcommittee or liaison reports • Church Council 1. Green Committee - would like to have the equipment recycle day. 2. This would use a trailer to collect the equipment and then drive it away. 3. Double check to make sure this is someone who is going to re-cycle. 4. Does this group that is picking it up have a license. 5. They would have to do their own publicity a. What would they take b. What do they charge for computers c. What won’t they take? 6. 7. How big is the trailer? 8. Motion made to support the Green Committee equipment drop-off day. - All Approved. 10. Adjourn – All approved Suggestions for additions to Annual Calendar  Letter to Historic District Commission for signage to events  Snow Shovel hiring date – by Nov 1st  Fiscal Summits – all fiscal stuff  Lions Club – by April 20th  Annual Meetings  warrant dates  GA Delegates – Selected by end of February  Performance appraisal timeline …  [ACTION] Carla needs to have timeline finished before the next standing committee meeting to be approved. Future Agenda items: • Safe Child Policy – Review and update Action Items Action Owner Due Date Status Creation Date Ask web site group if they have a way to keep track of different church email groups Tom Coffey Dec 9 New Nov 11 Carole will ask Cindy Gist to put yahoo group in the shooting star. Carole Dec 9 New Nov 11 SC members who have not called their phone tree numbers by this Saturday. All Nov 14 New Nov 11 Talk to membership about people they have spoken to about Retreat. Carla Dec 9 New Nov 11 Check on how many flip charts we have. We will need 8 for the retreat Tom Coffey Dec 9 New Nov 11 Look into wireless phone to keep in office Dave Dec 9 New Nov 11 Find out from LRP what is priority of Kitchen issues and what needs to get done right away. Joanna Dec 9 New Nov 11 Draft warrant to use extra money from last year’s budget to buy new furnace. Carla Dec 9 New Nov 11 Submit a faith in action grant for $1500. Cornelia Dec 9 New Nov 11 Look into seeing if Intern might cost less. Ellen Dec 9 New Nov 11 Look into UUA grants for Intern Minister Joanna Dec 9 New Nov 11 Have timeline finished before the next standing committee meeting to be approved. Carla Dec 9 New Nov 11

Standing Committee

The Standing Committee is the Church's governing board. The Standing Committee works to ensure the vitality of our community of faith. There are 10 members of the Standing Committee – nine voting members elected by the congregation and the minister, who is a non-voting member of the Committee. Standing Committee members serve a 3 year term.

The Standing Committee meets on the second Tuesday of the month at 7:00pm. Time is set aside at the beginning of every SC meeting as an open forum for members to bring forward any issues they would like to discuss.

The Standing Committee is responsible for the health and well being of First Parish. This includes maintaining communication among members and committees, managing Church property, and planning for the Church's short and long-term future. And of course members of the Standing Committee develop and manage the budget approved by the Congregation at the annual meeting.
The Human Resources Committee is a sub-committee of the Standing Committee.