Category: Church Council Minutes

May 20 2010

May 2010 CC Minutes

Church Council Minutes
May 6, 2010

Attendees: Dee Halzack, Leila Pelosi, Martha Sherburne, Deb Grad, John Fisher, Ami Hughes, Johan MacKenzie, Ann Marie Sigdestad, Paul Windt, and Walter Cole

Committees: Archives, Architect Interface team, Community Table, Building Use, Publicity, Caring Connection, Membership, LRP, Nominating Women’s discussion, Property Management/House management, HR, RE, Small Group Ministry, FUUN, Green, Grounds, Welcoming Congregation, Information Technology, and Worship.

Architect Interface team presented their findings to the architects what our vision is. The architects have been out to the church to measure and have tentatively set tMay 19th as a meeting date to present their ideas.

Archives They had a request for any pictures of the Odd Fellows hall when the church was holding services there from the 19 teens. When the church was being renovated.
Archives was asked if they have any blue prints of the main building and anything indicating the height of the steeple.

Building use Reported everything was going fine. Please remember to contact Leila for room reservations.

Caring Connection – Really busy they are looking for to add more people to the “Helpers List”. Next meeting May 9th.

Community Table The next serving is Sunday May 30th they served 70 people in Lowell. Starting time will be 9:00 AM instead of 8:30.

FUUN A walk in the woods on May 23rd. June 27th. FUUN will lead the first summer service this year.

Green They will be hosting a table at the Earth Fair on Saturday May 8th with :green Cleaning products. They will also have information about cleaning products and how to read what is in them. On May 9th they will be reviewing a movie on “Faiths are dealing with Environmental issues”

Grounds Informal meeting with potential new member last week. They are looking for a new chair for next year. They plan to work on the compost pile the weekend of May 8 & 9. Next removing the soil at the bottom and rebuilding it into 2 smaller piles so that they can be easily turned over. Looking for assistance in getting ready for a June wedding.

House management We need to hook up the kitchen to the sewer. They are getting estimates to connect into the existing sewer hook up in the RE wing. The back steps need the stripes to be re-painted for people to see the edges better. They have a prototype of the Hymnal racks and should have them modified/replaced by September. Other areas that they are looking into are Gutters on the Chapel as well as some roof shingles are missing and there is some rot on the fascia and trim of the chapel roof. T-mobile wants to install an underground cable from the front of the church to side by the kitchen windiow. The table of Plenty as a new refrigerator and a new wash sink has been installed in our kitchen. The Board of Health wants us to change more tiles to the washable type in the kitchen. The chandeliers needs some work. Rug in the choir loft . ????? Johan what about this rug

HR Performance evaluations have been sent out they are a new form this year designed to reflect the position specifically. Their next meeting after the canvass May 25 they will finalize their portion of the budget.

Information Technology Nothing reported due to time constraint. Working with the treasure and collector to have a solution for the new collector by July 1st. Full Church Management software has been delayed in order to develop a deeper understanding of what is needed and wanted by the staff and the congregation.

LRP They have created a budget for next year and they are creating a list of all projects and listing the status (TBD, Completed, In Process) They will be submitting an application for Community Preservation Committee (CPC) to assit in the restoration of the Steeple and clock.

Membership Membership Sunday June 13, 2010. May is membership month. There have been 19 new members so far this year.

Nominating They have completed the slate for next year. Carrie Little will chair nominating next year. June meeting will be a transitioning meeting.

Small Group Ministry There are 6 groups that are actively meeting once a month All are planning to continue next year. In the fall there is enough interest to start another group in the evenings.

Publicity They are reviewing the year. The last event for this church year is the concert to raise money for the bell choir on June 13th.

RE They are having their annual appreciation dinner on May 21 for all of the volunteers.
2 members will be coming off the committee at the end of this year.

Welcoming They organized a group from church to march in the Gay Pride Parade in Boston on June 12th. They have 2 Marshals They will be doing the chalice lighting on Sunday May 16th. May 23rd will be a celebration for Harvey Milk.

Women’s discussion Are meeting monthly at people’s homes.

Worship Nothing reported due to time constraint.

There were two new Faith in Action grant requests
Table of Plenty and the Jollene Dubner Trust fund with the Lowell Parks and Conservation Trust.
Both were approved unanimously.

A discussion regarding the spring training session was held and many ideas were presented as to what the topics should be covered.

Mar 20 2010

March 2010 CC Minutes

Church Council Minutes
March 4, 2010
Attendees: Dee Halzack, Leila Pelosi, Joan Coyne, Paul Windt, and Walter Cole
Committees: Archives, Community Table, Building Use, Music, Publicity, Caring Connection,
Membership, NOLA, Welcoming Congregation, Information Technology, and Worship.
Reports via e-mail or telephone Grounds and Green Committee
Archives Getting older. They received two articles from the Sun regarding the guest musician
Mike Ogletree and Pastor Ella’s visit.
Building use Reported everything was going fine.
Caring Connection – Gala valentines Day Ice cream Social Was a success.
Helping Susan Wilson to move they are needing boxes Akiko is the contact.
Community Table Sunday February 28th they served 70 people in Lowell. There is NO date yet for
the next community table. It was mentioned that Chelmsford is starting it’s own version
of a community table to be served in a church in town. More details are not know at this
time
Green Not much to report. We bought and set up the techno trash can, have started talking to Edith
about the cups, and started talking about what we are going to do next year. We spent
most of our Feb meeting working on the covenant.
Information Technology They will be Meeting Monday with someone from Membership
Nominating, RE, the treasurer, collector, and church administrator for input in what their
needs are for a church management software package. This group will re-convene in a
month or 2 to review the results of the IT search.
Membership – New UU Course March 7, 14, 21, 28, 2010 lead by Laura Montioderiso..
Fellowship Dinner was held at Joan Keene’s house. 3 People signed the book
Membership Sunday June 13, 2010.
Music They have been in discussion with Rev Ellen about providing music for the evening services.
They will be doing the Welcoming and announcements for March.
They have more bell ringers than bells they will be holding a fund raising concert on
June 13th to raise money to buy another octave of bells.
NOLA They had a very successful fund raiser (The Tervo Concert) which they raise $863.00
They had over 50 people attend.
March 6th is another fund raiser the Fire House band at 7:00 PM
Their last fund raiser will be March 27th which will be a yard sale.
Publicity They are promoting the fire house band performing March 6th, donating the proceeds to
the 2010 NOLA Mission trip, and the May Breakfast.
Welcoming They are tying to organize a group from church to march in the Gay Pride Parade in
Boston on June 12th. They have a Marshal (requirement to march) and 3 people have
expressed an interest. Hosting a book discussion on March 19, 2010. The book is “How
the homosexual saved civilization” They will be lading the Sunday service on June 6th
Worship The worship service calendar is finished for this year. There is an issue with our
wireless microphone system. As of June 12 we can no longer use that frequency.
There were no new Faith in Action grant requests
We work on the Church Council Covenant see below
1st rough draft 2/4/2010
Because we are the leaders of this church and stewards of our congregation
We have the goal of :
Strengthening the First Parish community
Honoring our Unitarian Universalist Principles
Connections
synergy
Building momentum
everyone rowing together
This we covenant to
Honor diversity and be open minded
Starting and ending on time
Be supportive of each others’ ideas
Sharing information between areas of ministry and Laugh freely
2nd rough draft 3/04/2010
Because we are the leaders of this church and stewards of our congregation
We have the goals of :
Strengthening the First Parish community
Honoring our Unitarian Universalist Principles
Creating connections with in our community
Producing an overall better result through team work
Building momentum on the energy of the First Parish Community
This we covenant to
Honor diversity and be open minded
Start and end on time
Be supportive of each others’ ideas
Share information between areas of ministry
Laugh freely
We also discussed holding a leadership training in May
Carlene Merrill has offered to assist in the training
Some of the topics to cover
Running a meeting
Budgeting
Succession
Project and event planning
Organizing and debriefing
Internal communication

Feb 20 2010

February 2010 CC Minutes

Church Council Minutes
February 4, 2010

Attendees: Dee Halzack, Sadie Kahn-Greene, Leila Pelosi, Amy Hughes, Tom Wight, John Fisher, and Walter Cole

Committees Publicity, Caring Connection, RE council, REY, Fuun , Membership, Green ,
Welcoming Congregation, Human Resources, Information Technology, and Worship.

Building use Reported everything was going fine.

Membership – New UU Course March 7, 14, 21, 28, 2010.
Fellowship Dinner February 27, 2010, 6-9pm, at Joan Keene’s house.
New comers coffee February 21, 2010.
Membership Sunday June 13, 2010.

Caring Connection – RE Workshop on the 3rd line of our covenant: Caring and being present for one another in our Joys and Sorrows.
Gala valentines Day Ice cream Social Feb 14th.
Doing Welcome and Announcements for the month of February.

HR Funding the REAA from the Church budget as a permanent positions. They consider that the REAA position has been most successful. They are reviewing merit raises for next year. Looking at extending the church administrator hours in August to allow for time needed in preparing for the new church year.
They need to fund the child care for the Sunday evening services and CPR training.

Green Met with Reverend Ellen and have been re-energized in their commitment.
They will working with the Chelmsford Earth Day to make it more successful.
This may be the last year for Earth Day if attendance is low.
They have ordered commercial dishwasher safe plastic cups to be used at the social hour for the children s juice. They have purchased a “Techno Trash Can” for the church so that we can safely and properly dispose of various items CD, DVD etc.
They are planing to do much more next year.
They are looking for new members.

RE Council Finishing the current workshop cycle based on the 3rd line of our covenant.
“Bearing witness through service to justice and peace”
RE is looking for committees to do an RE workshop on “Living Our Covenant”.

Publicity They are promoting the fire house band performing March 6th, donating the proceeds to the 2010 NOLA Mission trip, the Tervo Concert and the May Breakfast.

Information Technology We replaced the one computer in the office already and have the second one ready to go. We will need to upgrade Quick Books since the version we have will not run on the new operating system. The wireless network has been secured via a password. We are looking to put together a team of someone representing membership, and nominating, along with the Treasurer, the Collector, and the Church administrator to identify what they would like to see in church management software.
Then the IT committee will review what is available and present our finding to this team to make the final decision.

Worship Has not met since the last Church Council meeting.

Welcoming Hosting a book discussion on February 19, 2010.
The book is “How the homosexual saved civilization”

Architect Interface Team Will be distributing cards next Sunday asking us to answer the question “What architectural feature of our church would you improve?”
They will be meeting weekly for the next 5 to 6 weeks.

It was brought up that we need to define and promote the Faith In Action Grant. Should there be a limit?

We work on the Church Council Covenant see below

1st rough draft

Because we are the leaders of this church and stewards of our congregation

We have the goal of :
Strengthening the First Parish community
Honoring our Unitarian Universalist Principles
Connections
synergy
Building momentum
everyone rowing together

This we covenant to
Honor diversity and be open minded
Starting and ending on time
Be supportive of each others’ ideas
Sharing information between areas of ministry and Laugh freely

Dec 20 2009

December 2009 CC Minutes

Church Council Minutes December 3, 2009
Attendees: Dee Halzak, Leila Pelosi, Paul Windt, Ami Hughes, Martha Sherburne, Dave Kaffine,
Corneila Kirkpatrick, Joan Coyne, Ann Marie Sigdestad, Deb Grad, Lynne Cole and
Walter Cole
Committees Archives, Community Table, Publicity, Welcoming, Caring Connection,Nominating,
Green, Music, RE, Out Reach Human resources, Pastoral Care, Grounds,
Information Technology, and Worship.
Welcoming Committee
Nothing to report they are meeting next Sunday.
Caring Connection
Things have become quiet. They are sponsoring the lunch with the Rev on the 3rd Tuesday of
the month. They are looking for new members for next year.
Publicity
We have been getting better coverage in the Lowell Sun and the Chelmsford Independent.
The information in the Independent has been updated to include the evening service. Stories
of Pastor Ella and the guest musician/composer Mike Ogletree.
On the web page there are now links to our Face book and Twitter pages.
Nominating
Finishing the database on all of the friends and members of First Parish identifying the groups,
committees, and functions which they have been involved. Nominating will be talking with the
standing committee for any recommendations on the slate of officers.
Nominating is developing a list of leadership qualities.
Green
In January or February will host a zero waste dinner, and discussion on how to reduce waste.
They will be showing the movie “Story of Stuff” followed by a discussion.
Music
Good news the “fixes” that have been done on the piano are buying us some time.
The group formed by Will Reiter now has a named -”Voices of Light”.
Outreach
The group “Rebuild Together” (formerly Christmas in April) one day a year in April this group
repairs homes and for those that do not have the resources to maintain their homes. Outreach is
looking into getting our church involved with this group.
This year it will be held on April 24, 2010. In conjunction with the Chelmsford Ministers group
we are looking into serving a meal in our church on a regular basis. Two members of the
outreach group went to the Elliot church in Lowell to observe. A full dinner was served and
well attended. Outreach is investigating participating perhaps next church year.
RE
Is meeting on December 15th. They will be looking for volunteers in the spring for next year.
Human Resources
The RE Administrative Assistant (REAA) has completed the probationary period. HR is
recommending to the Standing committee that she be made permanent. HR is researching
staff sabbaticals. HR is developing more effective staff evaluation forms for this year.
Pastoral Care
The team continues to be busy, our next meeting is December 11th.
Information Technology
The REAA computer is ready and will be installed on Sunday December 6th.
We will be securing the WIFI in the church. The pass code will available to all members and
friends of the church.
Worship
The Worship pamphlet will be in place on Sunday December 6th. The Sunday evening services
continue to be averaging 10 people each week.
Grounds
This winter a trellis is being made to cover the trash barrel by the vestry door.
Archives & Historical
Nothing new to report they are resting well.
Community Table
The next Community table is December 27th.
The cooking team will be hosting the social hour that day also.
Small Group Ministries
There are 6 groups active and there is enough interest for another co-ed group.
Both men’s group have openings.
Women’s discussion Group
Met last Tuesday at the Cafe Madrid. The next meeting is in January.
They are looking for new members and topics.
NOLA
An informational dinner was held on November 14th . The deadline to get the room and board
money is December 20th. Currently there are 17 people who are interested in going.
For fund raisers there are several December 10th at Applebee’s with the coupon 20% of the bill
will be donated to the NOLA group. March 6, 2010 the Firehouse Band from the Littleton UU
church will give a benefit concert at our church with all of the funds going to the NOLA group.
Charter statement was gone over in detail
Our goal is the have the final form approved and ready to be sent to every committee in December and
have them returned by February 28, 2010
We started the process of developing our covenant.

Nov 20 2009

November 2009 CC Minutes

Church Council Minutes November 5, 2009
Attendees: Dee Halzak, Leila Pelosi, Tracy Clifford, Dave Kaffine, Corneila Kirkpatrick, Deb Grad,
John Fisher, Lynne Cole and Walter Cole
Committees Publicity, Welcoming, Caring Connection,Nominating, Green, Music, RE, Out Reach
Human resources, Human Resources, Membership, Pastoral Care,
Information Technology, and Worship.
Welcoming Committee
They are planning a book discussion and showing a film.
Dates have not been set.
Caring Connection
They have had a very busy fall..
Publicity
They are working with the Holiday fair to have coverage in the papers. They are also
publicizing the Sunday evening services.
Nominating
They are working on defining “Qualities of Leadership”, updating the database with people who
are active in the church . They are asking “if the church is meeting their needs”
Green
Signing up to do the coffee hour on November 29th and they are doing the Welcome and
announcements for December. Kristy Medina: Kristy has a show on the local TV channel
and is looking for audience members for her 11/13 show. It’s taped at the Parker Middle
School and is at 7:00. Events for the year: Kristy volunteered to run a workshop that would
teach us how to make items out of recycled things. We talked about the possibility of doing it
before the holiday fair so we could sell items at the fair. In the spring show the movie
“The Story of Stuff”, have a zero waste dinner, and discussion on how to reduce the
amount of waste we have. Looking for alternatives to the disposable plastic cups use for the
juice at coffee hour.
Music
The piano is being tuned more due to it’s condition. Cyndi is looking at starting a children s
hand bell choir this year. She will probably due Junior choir for half a year and then the second
half have the hand bells. The Meeting House Ringers are performing in Lowell at the temple
Emanuel on November 6th and at church on November 8.
OutreachH
as had a meeting with all of the various committees that do fund raising. A good connection
was made among the different groups along with more understanding of what each group is
trying to accomplish. The church has been asked by the Elliot church in Lowell to do 1 meal a
week for the needy. This is a little more than we can handle right now. There is an opportunity

Church Council Minutes November 5, 2009
for folks to volunteer at the Episcopal church in Lowell helping people with English. They are
looking for native English speakers who would converse with an individual for practice based
on that day’s lesson. No other language skills required.
RE
The first teaching rotation is finished. The basis for this year’s RE classes is “Our Covenant”.
Each session will be one of the points of the covenant. RE is asking committees to assist in
teaching. IE Welcoming Committee. They are working on the pageant for this years holiday.
Human Resources
They are concerned about the budget for next year and will there be funds for the RE
Administrative Assistant (REAA). This has been a big help to the RE program.
Membership
The REAA has been a big help by letting membership know of new families.
At the last new comers coffee there where 10 new people. They are developing a new
welcoming guide for new members. A new members reception was held for people who had
joined the church last year as well as for those who celebrated their 10 year membership.
Pastoral Care
Busy this year. Two members are going to a workshop held by the UUA Clara Barton District
on “Creating Pastoral Care Lay teams”.
Information Technology
Is working on several issues first and fore most getting the REAA a computer. The big concerns
are securing the wireless network and backing up the computers. They will be working on a 5
year plan for the church’s equipment.
Worship
Announced that they have a new member. The long awaited worship pamphlet
is going to press.
Faith in Action Grant was approved for $700.00 for the New Orleans Out reach
Charter statement form was reviewed and approved Walter will make a first pass at the Church
Council’s charter statement and send it to everyone. Our goal is the have the final form approved and
ready to be sent to every committee in December and have them returned by February 28, 2010
A discussion was had on what belongs in the minutes for privacy.

Standing Committee

The Standing Committee is the Church's governing board. The Standing Committee works to ensure the vitality of our community of faith. There are 10 members of the Standing Committee – nine voting members elected by the congregation and the minister, who is a non-voting member of the Committee. Standing Committee members serve a 3 year term.

The Standing Committee meets on the second Tuesday of the month at 7:00pm. Time is set aside at the beginning of every SC meeting as an open forum for members to bring forward any issues they would like to discuss.

The Standing Committee is responsible for the health and well being of First Parish. This includes maintaining communication among members and committees, managing Church property, and planning for the Church's short and long-term future. And of course members of the Standing Committee develop and manage the budget approved by the Congregation at the annual meeting.
The Human Resources Committee is a sub-committee of the Standing Committee.