Category: Church Council Minutes

Jan 20 2011

January 2011 CC Minutes

Church Council Minutes
January 6, 2011

Attendees: Walter Cole, Joan Coyne, John Fisher, Deirdre Heck, Dave Kaffine, Joan Keane, Martha Sherburne, Paul Windt, Franklin Wolf

Committees: Archives, Architect Interface team, Community Table, Grounds, Information Technology, Long Range Planning, Membership, Music, NOLA, Nominating, Web/Publicity, Standing Committee, Woman’s Alliance, Worship, WOW

Architect Interface Team Working with the standing committee to transition into a fund raising committee. We are not sure when this will happen.

Archives Usual “Nothing new here” Just a lot of old stuff.

Caring Connection (EMAIL) February is CCC month to do the “announcement” ; also, we’ll be happy to do the ice cream social on February 13th and we need to contact RE people; also, during February at least one (maybe two) Sunday will be covered by us to do flowers, chalice, and social hour. We’ll nail the details down this coming Sunday at our meeting.
Another very heart warming news; Tiffany donated her massaging services to 10 people in the congregation through CCC. We put our heads together along with Rev Ellen, and chose people to contact Tiffany to receive her services. We are sure that they will all appreciate her skills.

Community Table The next service is 1/23. Volunteers are appreciated. There are consistently 65-70 people. TOP has consistently 60-65.

Grounds: Grounds Committee is working on finishing our budget for the year, planning next year’s budget and hopefully rounding up help for a plant sale in the spring. It is fun dreaming of green grass, trees and colorful flowers during the gray days.

HRSC: (EMAIL) We did not meet in December. January’s meeting will be on Jan 11th at
Debra’s house. Agenda items include finalizing the ministers Letter of Call
for SC approval, working to evaluate staff needs going forward keeping the
possibility of 2 services in mind and HR manual edits.

Information Technology IT is changing the Phone and internet service to FIOS which will increase the speed from 1MB down load and 0.384 MB up load to 35 MB both ways. We will be increasing the service on the phone from 1 unlimited and 1 measured to 2 unlimited lines. The change will save us about $47.00 a month. (there was an expected increase of $17 per month on the internet.
Aliases will be set up for those who have requested them during this month.

LRP The porticoes are almost complete, should be done by Sunday (they weren’t, but soon!). There has been lots of positive response.

Membership We are entering our busy period where we need to continue with our
regular activities, host the Fellowship Dinner at the end of February,
and lead the Intro to UU course in March. We expect to be putting
together invitations for the Fellowship Dinner in the next couple of
weeks and host the dinner in the chapel this year on February 27th.

Music At December’s Church Council Mtg the subject of the Organ Pipes cam eup. The music committee says feel free to get rid of them, that’s fine.

Nominating We are preparing for NC Sunday, 1/16; The first round of candidate letters for spring slate will be mailed by 1/14
Joan is taking over for Carrie as chair. A question was raised: does nominating help find people for non elected committees? The answer is yes, feel free to submit to them a request for new committee members if needed.

NOLA 14 definites. 17 not definite, some from Groton and some from TOP.
Nola will hold a benefit concert on 2/19 with 50s and 60s music by Pete’s Trio. Location TBD. The hope is to do it somewhere with dancing. This is the only Fundraiser they will do.

Publicity & Website Met in December for a joint November/December meeting. Did a site map of the website. All the pages are up, but not all have content. Membership and Worship will be asked soon to give information on the website on their pages a once over for approval. They hop the new website will go live on 3/1.
`For publicity, the only event they know about is NOLA, feel free to let them know about anything you need them to do

REC (EMAIL)The pageant rotation finished on Dec 19th with a successful event. The REC has scheduled a meeting on Jan 9th with workshop leaders, REC and REY
members to debrief.
The new rotation, Justice Seekers, begins on Jan 9th.
Sadie’s first day back will be working from home on January 12th and her
first Sunday back will be Jan. 16th. She’ll begin at 10 hours the first week
and increasing her work hours in the following weeks gradually.

Welcoming A representative from MassEquality will be doing a presentation to interested members of the congregation on January 30 (snow date February 6) on the state of BGLT rights issues, nationally and in Massachusetts. Among other things, we can expect to hear about the status of efforts to pass BGLT-friendly federal employment non-discrimination and anti-bullying legislation, and about efforts to reintroduce in the Massachusetts legislature a transgender rights bill.
We have proceeded with plans to participate in the 2011 Boston Pride Parade (June 11) and already have our two marshals (Warren Flewellen and Beverly Barry).

Woman’s Alliance Attended a music BYO luncheon at Indian Hill Music.

Worship Nothing big. Focused on website content to Joan and coverage for Ellen through the rest of this year. AP is now a quieter social hour area. The WC will discuss whether to add this information to their weekly announcements during W&A.

WOW Committee will meet with Doug Zelinski from district on 1/26 to discuss various aspects of moving and Goals Clarification.

Budgets are due next month, if you need any data the Treasurer can get it to you.

Faith in Action Grants ARE available, Act NOW! We have 5,625.90.

We revisited our Covenant, and approved it as it was.

What do we need to do this year? DISCUSSION.

-Education might be helpful: how to hold a meeting, what it means to be the chair of a committee, what are budgets.
Also help in setting up a Committee member progression from member to Asst. Chair to Chair.
Committees might need manuals that capture the basic things they do and the path of progression so that each new chair over time has a resource.

+A training was planned but fell through, perhaps it needs to be planned again?
-The Church Council is here to support committees and for the sharing of ideas. It is good for Committee Chairs to attend and get feedback as well as guidance/help.
-Two issues: 1- Committees finding new people to join
2- People finding committees to join that match their interests
-Committee Fair? Hasn’t been done in awhile, should it be done again?
-Each committee might have a small way in which Congregants can get involved in a “one time only” way to expose them to different possibilities.
For example, RE uses many volunteers for small bounded things such as washing cups, getting library books, etc. Worship uses Readers, etc.

Discussion Summary:
1-Train current leaders to train the next generation
2-Reach out to people
3-Task oriented requests for non committee members to help out
4-Better definition of committees and communicating that.

Dec 20 2010

December 2010 CC Minutes

Church Council Minutes
December 2, 2010

Attendees: Tracy Clifford, Walter Cole, Joan Coyne, John Fisher, Debra Grad, Bill Loehfelm, Leila Pelosi, Will Reiter, Tom Wight, Paul Windt, Franklin Wolf

Committees: Archives, Architect Interface team, Building Use, Caring Connection, Community Table, Human Resources, Information Technology, Long Range Planning, Membership, Music, Nominating, Publicity, RE, Standing Committee, Worship

Architect Interface Team Visions of Future meetings 1 meeting left 12/5/2010. Presentation will be to share the plans that the AIT and the Architect created.

Archives Nothing new. A question was asked about does someone repair the headstones in the cemetery. It was noted that the cemetery is not owned by the church and that someone a few years ago repaired the headstones.

Building use Please remember to close the doors in the hall ways and rooms. There is some confusion as to which doors need to be closed. Leila will ask Cindy to be sure that all of the doors that should be closed at night have signs on them. New programmable thermostats will be installed in both the chapel and the vestry. These will be 7 day thermostats as opposed to the week day vs. weekend style that are currently installed. This will allow for better control with the heating of those rooms. A reminder to those groups meeting after church on Sunday to please wash up any cups, flatware or plates that you have used. Do not leave them for someone else! Next new comer coffee is December 12, 2010.

Caring Connection Wants to remind everyone about “Lunch with the Rev” is held on the third Tuesday of the month the next one is December 21, 2010 at 12:30. Bring your own lunch, and the Caring connection will provide coffee and tea as well as dessert. There is no theme, just bring something to talk about or come and listen to people talk. We laugh a lot, too.

Community Table They served 72 people in Lowell, on 11/28. Volunteers and helpers wanted. The head of the committee is stepping down, and will try to find her replacement over the course of this year. The dates for the rest of this church year are January 23, 2011, February 27 and April 24 (which is Easter Sunday). Community Table was asked by the Table of Plenty folks about composting. Table of Plenty staff reports that the outdoor compost bin is quite full. Paul will contact the Grounds committee.

HR We are continuing our work to update the Minister’s Letter of Call, which is like her employment contract. We are paying close attention to the compensation clauses that need to be simplified and clarified. Changes are presented to the SC for a vote. No substantive changes are likely to be proposed. The team is working to evaluate staffing needs as part of the Widening our Worship research. We are continuing work on refining and clarifying the Human Resources Manual, specifically in the area of the unpaid leave policy.

Information Technology This year they plan to do policy writing.

LRP The porticos that were designed by Norm Osberg will be built this month.
Both have been approved by the Historic District Commission and the vestry one has been issued a building permit by the town. The Entrance by the office requires a variance. The variance has been applied for and is expected to be issued.

Membership Humming along working with WOW. Asked if the Alliance Parlor could be reserved for a quiet coffee hour on Sunday instead of meetings. The consensus was supportive.
The concern was for having food and drink in the A/P but it was quickly dismissed since there is a kitchen in the A/P room. The stage was also suggested as a possibility.
Music The music committee has been working with the Evening Service to provide live music for the services at night. It was noted by many that the music is gratefully appreciated
A question was asked regarding the old organ pipes that are in the attic are they needed? Are they worth anything? The Voices of light have performed at Palm Manner, and will be performing at Chelmsford Crossing, and Sunny Acres. They will be performing at the Holiday fair as well as the Meeting House Ringers.

Nominating Working on next year’s slate. Helping with Canvass/Stewardship and Community Table leaders to be mentored this year.

NOLA There are 11 confirmed people and 6 who are still interested 5 people are from the Groton church. The next meeting is December 12 for all people who are or interested in going.
We will be holding their fund raiser in February 2011. The entertainment will be Pete’s Trio which will be playing music from the 50’s, 60’s & 70s.

Publicity & Website Standing committee selected a logo for the Church website. We are in the process of comparing the new and old web sites to be certain that we have everything on the new one that was on the old one. We have been advertising on the radio station WCAP the Holiday Fair and in the Lowell Sun (12/18 only) for our longest night and Christmas Eve services. We are developing a “Spot Light” on the web site to highlight a different committee each month. The Chair of the committee will be asked to write something that will then go on their committee’s web page.
We need a Federal 501C3 form to get free web site hosting ($150.00 for hosting a year). It was noted that our church is older than the country. This should be asked that the standing committee look into this.

REC We are closely monitoring the current religious education rotation – A winter play, the Tailor of Gloucester. An REC member is present as DRE sub each Sunday to greet families and support the program. Jill is doing a fantastic job as REAA keeping communication open and volunteers informed. Debra met with Rev Ellen, Jill and RE Youth chair Maura Snow to share information about the RE program. A member of REY will try to be present in the RE wing to connect with the youth for a check in before workshops begin and monitor the involvement and engagement of 6-12th graders. Workshop leaders have been asked to ensure the classes include a chalice lighting and reflection making connection to our principles and covenant. The play rehearsal is set for Saturday Dec 18th and the Sunday service on the 19th will be fully run by the volunteers and students. We have a full roster of volunteers for the next RE rotation, Justice Seekers, which begins on Jan 12th.

Welcoming Congregation (sent via e-mail)
Our first vigil for Transgender Day of Remembrance went well. It was small, but attendance included members of the congregation from outside the committee and people from outside the church and it meant a lot to the transgender people I’ve spoken with that we cared enough to make the effort.

We are already planning for participation in the 2011 Pride Parade in June and have our marshalls, Beverly Barry and Warren Flewellen.

We’re planning for activities next year to include another book discussion and a movie night. We hope to select the book to recommend to the congregation before Christmas.

We now have three mailing lists: one for committee members, one for those who want to receive news and advocacy alerts as they become available, and a list for those who want to sign up for the Pride Parade and be kept posted on organizing developments.

Worship Going along nicely. The lay service went well. There were more people attended than expected. Readers and Welcome and announcements are all set for the year. In May Ellen will be away doing a wedding which will require a lay service. A question was asked about breaking up all of the special services in May and June. Membership has moved from June to October.

Faith in Action Grant:
There were no new” Faith in Action” Grants received. We are wondering if people know about them. How can we better inform the congregation?

Membership has challenged every committee to host a social hour after church.

Church Council: What do we need to do this year?
The discussion was around holding a workshop in February or March.
Some topics were:
Agendas
Guide lines
Progression
Have each committee build a book with job descriptions and duties and expectations.

We agreed that each committee to send to the Church council chair a report of one or two paragraphs by one week before our next meeting so that it may be distributed to all committee chairs when the reminder notice is sent. The dead line for the reports is December 29, 2010

Nov 20 2010

November 2010 CC Minutes

Church Council Minutes
November 4, 2010

Attendees: Walter Cole, Joan Coyne, John Fisher, Debra Grad, Dee Halzack, Deirdre Heck, Ami Hughes, Leila Pelosi, Bonnie Rankin, Paul Windt, Franklin Wolf

Committees: Archives, Architect Interface team, Building Use, Caring Connection, Community Table, Green, Grounds, Human Resources, Information Technology, Membership, Publicity, RE, Standing Committee, Table of Plenty, Welcoming Congregation, Woman’s Alliance, Worship, WOW

Architect Interface Team Visions of Future meetings to be presented 3 consecutive Sundays to allow as many people to attend as possible: 11/21, 11/28, 12/5. Presentation will be to share the plans that the AIT and the Architect created.

Archives Some people asked questions which led to an expedition through the files.

Building use Reminder to the committees that they need to let the Sexton/Building Use Coordinator know when and where their committees meet: don’t assume there is space for you if you don’t schedule, we are a very busy church both internally and externally.

Caring Connection Lots of activity: providing meals for a family, some rides for a few people. They have been using the “Helper” list they created, ti has been a Great Resource. Please let them know if you want your name on the list.

Community Table They serve in Lowell, their next serving date is Thanksgiving weekend, 11/28. Volunteers and helpers wanted. The head of the committee is stepping down, and will try to find her replacement over the course of this year. .

Green They got 2 new people on their committee. Their first event with Rev Barbara M. Liscord speaking on sustainability went well and was well attended: about 25 people. They will need to change the date for their Dec. meeting, their usual meeting date conflicts with the Solstice. (they talked to the Building Use coordinator, and this was worked out).
Upcoming workshops:
November-a Workshop on having a Green Christmas
December-Making a Yule Log
January-Vegetarian themed cooking workshop. Hoping to start at the church inspiring people to do Meatless Mondays with recipes.
February-something at Winter Rest
March-Phil Jones coming to talk about composting and rain barrels
April-? (doing Welcome and Announcements this month?)
May- Earth Fair
June-?
The Green Committee chair expressed the concern that after several years she is ready to step down as chair and she is concerned that no one will step up to replace her.

Grounds Grounds still has bulbs, compost pile and bin to do and of course leaves. Exciting flowers and shrubs to look forward to in the spring. We have been getting ready for a spring plant sale early. Plants out side in pots should be able to weather the cold. We will all be neat and tidy soon.

HR Worked with Ellen on her review and letter of call. Will outline expectations. In the Letter of Call it says that it must be reviewed every 3 years. They are also looknig at the Sabbatical clause. It says the minister must take a sabbatical every 3 years. Any changes to this would be voted on by the Congregation. They are also looking at the section on fees for nonmembers.
They review the spreadsheet for compensation yearly, and are finalizing goals with staff.
The HR manual is a work in progress. Focus is on fair compensation: pension, unpaid leave…
They are researching the need for a business manager: for example, who would manage a building project should that go forward? looking into fair practices, there are things volunteers do that would be best done by a professional.
They hope to add another member to the committee.

Information Technology This year they plan to do policy writing. They replaced the color printer with a High Quality printer for internally printing our Brochures. Ex. Worship Brochure at staples: $1.18 versus internally 20 cents. They are developing a policy for back up and remote access, they hope to submit a policy to the SC by the end of the year, and to be able to implement it by next year.

Membership There was only 1 person at the last newcomer coffee. Their seem to be fewer newcomers in general compared to last year. They are looking into Mentoring as there long term project.
There will be a fellowship dinner Feb. 26th, a new UU course Sunday evening in March., May is membership month and they will be doing Welcome and Announcements, The next new member Sunday and Reception will be October 2nd 2011.

NOLA Have 13 tentative, they hope to get more in numbers, and have them definite by Jan. 1.
They plan to expand their recruitment efforts. There will be 1 fundraiser in Feb.

Publicity & Website They are trying to give more guidance to the congregation on how to contact them
to receive publicity services, and to let people know what kinds of things are available. They hope in this way to get things on the web in a timely fashion and to advertise events.
They have created a “publicity planner” form.
They plan on creating a listing of all ways a person can get information about the church and putting it in an easily visible location within the church.
There is an advertising budget.
It was discussed that adding to the list of Publicity’s responsibilities would make sense to include the sign out front. They agreed, and are happy to own this. Signs for it are in the chapel either the closet or its narthex.
When signs are put on the lawn they must get Town permission for it. Usually it is a simple informative thing and is no problem, a common courtesy.
Standing Committee is currently looking at new logos for the church to choose 1 to have as our churches standard logo.
They are slowly adding to the website. Their next focus will be Worship.
Working on getting sermons on the website (they are now there).
Will advertise the holiday fair.

RE They are prepping for Sadie’s maternity leave, she is due Nov. 12th. This past Sunday they started the Pageant Rotation. There will be somebody in the RE wing every Sunday to replace Sadie. A packet will be going out to everyone to explain the details of Sadie’s leave. (Publicity offered to put the packet information on the web.) There will be a person from the RE Council assigned each Sunday to keep a look out for new comers. They will also be sure that the Greeters know who has replaced Sadie each Sunday.

Table of Plenty See Faith in Action Grant below for more information. The TOP is looking for more FP volunteers. They currently have a storage problem. It was discussed and TOP has a carpenter who will look into the space and figure out how to create shelving/storage solutions.
The Tervos are going to play a fundraiser for the TOP. Publicity offered to advertise if TOP fills out their cool new forms.

Welcoming Illnesses have interfered with meetings. They are off to a slow start. They hope to do a vigil for Transgender Day of Awareness. They have scheduled more activities for next year.

Woman’s Alliance They had their first meeting of the year, they went over business and had their social activity. They had one visitor, and low turn out as many members have gotten older and moved closer to family, into homes, etc. Their Business was discussing the Alliance Furniture. The president is having the furniture appraised. If the furniture is structurally sound, and if the appraiser thinks it is worth it, the Alliance might choose to re-upholster the furniture. Otherwise, any funds they get from the sale of furniture, coupled with their furniture allowance will be used to purchase new furniture of the Alliances choosing.
The social portion of the meeting was a rousing game of Bingo at which the CC secretary lost every round. But she did receive a “loser” prize, so it was all ok. 🙂

Worship They are in good shape. They lined up speakers for when Ellen is off. They are keepingon top of the schedule for when which committee/individual is doing Welcome and Announcements and Readings. Publicity signed up for W&A for March during the CC meeting, and this fills up the year. They also plan on being sure the Chalice Lightings are signed up for each week. The evening services are at 10-15, and they will keep reevaluating. They hope to balance over all goals with task oriented responsibilities.

Fiscal Summitt November 6th, 9:30 (already happened)

Faith in Action Grant: Table of Plenty
First Parish TOP rep. spent her own money to get an individual, as required, Serve Safe Certified. This was done, and as part of the grant she requests reimbursement.
There are 8 teams that rotate use of the FP kitchens to serve the TOP. FP has every 8th turn, and it costs about 150 a turn. There are about 50 people coming each time.
The TOP rep is requesting that the cost of Fps turn be paid for by a Faith in Action Grant.
This was approved in the amount of $1000 total. BUT it led to the conversation that perhaps TOP should become a charter group with a budget OR be rolled into Community Table and have their budget increased.

WOW offered to attend a meeting of any committee that felt they wanted more information/discussion regarding the possibility of going to 2 services. Music Committee, RE, Worship and Membership were all interested and a member of WOW will attend one of their Committee Meetings.
Caring Connection has also asked for WOW to visit one of their meetings.

Church Council: What do we need to do this year?
How do we get more committee representation? Food? Those who do attend feel it is a great leadership support group. Perhaps we should advertise that benefit to committees?
How do we develop leadership at FP, and is the CC responsible for helping with that?
CC should do a coffee hour.

Oct 20 2010

October 2010 CC Minutes

Church Council Minutes
October 07, 2010

Attendees: Dee Halzack, Leila Pelosi, Karen Dussourd, John Fisher, Ami Hughes, Johan MacKenzie, Paul Windt, and Walter Cole, Deirdre Heck, Carla Corey, Joan Keane, Joan Coyne, Francis Kirkpatrick, Franklin, Wolf, Cornelia Kirkpatrick

Committees: Archives, Architect Interface team, Caring Connection, Community Table, FUUN, Green, Grounds, House management/ Property Management, Information Technology, LRP, Membership, Music, Nominating, Outreach, Pastoral Care, Publicity, RE, Ushers, Welcoming Congregation, and Worship.

This was the first meeting of the year. Each person either explained what their group does, or brought up the latest events their group was working on.

Architect Interface team Architect is ready to present to congregation with an estimate. Start with the Standing Committee first.
Perhaps October 24 for the congregational presentation.
The Steeple rennovation project-trying to get at least some funds throught he town s Chelmsford Conservation Commission since the church is historical. The congregation will be given information about this process. AT some point there might be a newspaper interview of the minister and the Standing Committee Chair discussing the church and the renovation project.

Archives They take care of and organize “neat old stuff.”

Building use Reminder to the committees that they need to let the Sexton/Building Use Coordinator know when and where their committees meet: don’t assume there is space for you if you don’t schedule, we are a very busy church both internally and externally.

Caring Connection they meet on the 2nd Sunday of the month in the am. They have a helpers list that they turn to when needed, and they are looking for more helpers for such things as making meals, giving rides, etc.

Community Table They serve in Lowell. At the most recent Community Table they had 65 +/_ people. There will be another on Thanksgiving weekend.

FUUN Will have Friday Games Night and Fall and Spring Walk

Green They met over the summer and mapped out the year and changed how they are doing things. Instead of just having member meetings, they will have congregational lectures, workshops, etc.
October- Rev Barbara M. Liscord will talk on sustainability
November-a Workshop on having a Green Christmas
December-Making a Yule Log
January-Vegetarian themed cooking workshop. Hoping to start at the church inspiring people to do Meatless Mondays with recipes.
February-something at Winter Rest
March-Phil Jones coming to talk about composting and rain barrells
April-? (doing Welcome and Announcements this month?)
May- Earth Fair
June-?

Grounds Grounds Committee has weathered the heat. Thanks to our lawn crew, helpers, members, Scout Troop 77, Girl Scout Troop 838, mystery weeders, we are in great shape and full bloom in fall planting, cleanup and finishing projects. We are looking into a possible free delivery of compost from Parlee Farms. Ours is almost completely distributed. Plants are being dug up and divided for a spring plant sale that can winter over in pots.

House management Sewer hook-up is done and on budget, stove donated and gas line brought to stove location in kitchen. Need an outlet for stove installed. The labor will probably be donated. Boiler room cleaned and asbestos removed. Did lots of misc. small things: paint, gutters, fixed things, etc.). Cell tower co. added an AC, but the structural support is sound.

HR

Information Technology This year they plan to do policy writing. They moved the email from verizon to dreamhost. Congregation needs to sign up to receive emails there are 2 lists: Shooting Star and Events. The minister, DRE and Music Director have all been converted. Committees can have group emails if they want. Would be forwarded to a point person on a committee for example the chair. They replaced the color printer with a High Quality printer for interanlly printing our Brochures. Ex. Worship Brochure at staples: $1.18 versus internally 20 cents. The collector is now using Church Management Software. Building a database of people’s skills within the congregation.

LRP 2 new members, hoping for more. Planing on putting in porticoes have to go to the historical commission about it at a public meeting= this was done and the porticoes were approved. $ in escrow allocated for this expense.

Membership There will be a fellowship dinner Feb. 26th, a new UU course Sunday evening in March., May is membership month and they will be doing Welcome and Announcements, The next new member Sunday and Reception will be October 2nd 2011.

Music The new bells have arrived, and they Bell Choir has already used them in rehearsal twice. They will be playing in the sanctuary November 14th. Ellen will lead a Blessing of the Bells. The Bell Choir will be played on Friday in a Temple in Lowell.
There are about 10-12 people in the Bell Choir.
The Senior Choir needs Sopranos.
Working on having music for the Evening services: working with Worship on this.

NOLA The dates this year are April 8-18 and so it will be an adult only trip. They will stay at the Annunciation Mission but they are going through the St. Bernard’s project. They are hoping for a project that allows all of them to work together. Slots for 15.

Nominating They create slate of people for elected positions. Committee Chairs can also request help to fill out their committee. Nominating sent out a form to list chairs and members of all committees. This needs to be filled out.

Outreach They came to the Church Council meeting to listen and to get ideas on how to expand outreach. “Stay tuned.”

Pastoral Care Team Healing Conversations starts November 16th for 5 Tuesdays open to all.

Small Group Ministry

Publicity & Website The back end for the new website has been switched over. The content hasn’t been changed yet, but will be. They have the pamphlets and other data they were given to add to the website. Feedback on the website is welcome, especially of there is antyhing you are looking for but can’t easily find. Alias being set up for committees. We have a Facebook and Twitter presence now. Check it out.

RE Sep 19th-71 kids, Sep 26-66 kids, Oct 3-72 kids.
REC is planning for Sadie’s maternity leave: how to fill any remainging holes that might exist. They are getting people to be a 2nd to Jill, and to replace Jill on Sundays she can’t be here.
Sadie’s maternity leave is probably Nov. 14th to sometime in Jan.

Usher They are recruiting new people and changing their procedures.

Welcoming They haven’t met yet this year. October 11th is Nat’l Coming Out Day. We need to be visible and vocal in our support of GLBT in general.

Woman’s discussion Are meeting monthly at people’s homes.

Worship Looking to set up a schedule of lay people to do readings in the sanctuary, and letting them know when their turn is ahead of time (reminders). They are also scheduling committees/people to do the Welcome and Announcements.

LEADERSHIP TRAINING= the Standing Committee wants as many people as possible, especially those in leadership positions (on or leading committees), to attend this training: OCTOBER 23 at 9AM.

CVL license this allows the church to play videos/music/dvds. Mostly RE, Green WCC would use this, but it would allow other committees/groups to make use of such materials as well.
The fee is $200, should this be a committee budget (allocated across the most using committees) or a Church budget. Church Council thinks it should be a Church Budget, it will be brought up at Standing Committee.

WOW offered to attend a meeting of any committee that felt they wanted more information/discussion regarding the possibility of going to 2 services. Music Committee, RE, Worship and Membership were all interested and a member of WOW will attend one of their Committee Meetings. Other committees who want to have a WOW member come to their meeting, please just let us know.

Jun 20 2010

June 2010 CC Minutes

Church Council Minutes
June 3, 2010

Attendees: Dee Halzack, Leila Pelosi, Martha Sherburne, Deidre Heck, Dave Kaffine, Joan Coyne, John Fisher, Paul Windt, and Walter Cole

Committees: Archives, Architect Interface team, Community Table, Building Use, Publicity, Caring Connection, Membership, LRP, Woman’s Alliance, FUUN, Green (by e-mail), Grounds, REC (by e-mail), Welcoming Congregation, Information Technology, and Worship.

AIT They have met and discussed the proposed directions of the architects and developed a list of questions and ideas. They will meet with the architects on June 13 in the morning before church. The woman’s alliance has been asked to have member on the AIT. They will get back to us as to you that will be.

Archives “Nothing new here!”

Caring Connection Everything is going well. The Caring Connection Cushions are well liked and used.

Community Table served 66 people last May 30th at the Lowell YMCA. The next meal we will be preparing will be in the fall.

Event coordinator Please let her know when and where your committee is meeting next year so that the room can be reserved. First come first served!

FUUN Will be doing the first Summer service on June 27th. They have agreed to look into organizing the annual all church picnic.

Green They have started developing their programming for next year. They would like to have Barbara Liscord (Milford NH) come and address the congregation on “Sustainability” and what the Milford church is doing.

Grounds Going well All set for the wedding June 5th. They are looking for people to sign up as helpers for the summer. Currently they have only 4 lawn mowing teams. They are also looking for helpers to weed, plant, and trans-plant. They are hoping to have a plant sale in the fall.

IT Looking into Church Management Software for the collector. It was decided that we need to do more research and develop policies regarding access, web based, and usage. Regardless something temporarily needs to be done for July when the new collector takes over the position.
They will be moving the e-mail provider from Verizon to the company who hosts our web site.
This will allow us to expand the number of e-mail addresses that we have at no additional cost.

LRP Budget is prepared for next year. They are looking for new members.

Membership June 5th there is a new member reception. There are 24 new members this year and they will be recognize at church on membership Sunday.

Music The concert in June is a fund raiser for the bell choir. They are very close to reaching their goal for a new octave of bell about $400 to go. They thank everyone for support the meeting house ringers.
The piano being moved is an issue. Moving it causes it to be tuned more frequently as well causes more wear and tear.

NOLA Pot Luck dinner and slide show on June 4 to thank and inform the congregation for their support.

Publicity Last event for the year is the fund raising concert for the bell choir. The Tewksbury paper has contacted Cyndi to do an article.

REC Asks that we all complete and return the “First Parish Religious Education Volunteering Form”.
The theme for next year’s RE program is “UU History and Identity” The rotation titles are
1. UU Principles, 2. Pageant, 3. UU Justice Seekers, 4 UU Ceremonies, 5. UU worship Service Elements.

Web The current web site will be taken down for a few days during the summer and will be replaced with a new back end system. This will allow them to make modifications easier and faster. They plan to have a new look by the end of the calendar year.

Welcoming Welcoming Gay Pride Parade June 12th, They are leading the worship service on June 6th. They have heard from people outside of our church that our welcoming committee is very active. They will be leading a summer service again this year. Planning a summer activity the Indigo girls July 30th in Lowell.

Worship They will be replacing the wireless microphone this month. It was recommended that they get a two channel system so that we can add on a hand held microphone in the future.
There is a team going to a workshop on Lay lead services on June 12 in Milford run by the district.

There were no new Faith in Action Grants.

The Spring leadership program was postponed until the fall.
There were no new Faith in Action grant requests

A discussion regarding the spring training session was held and many ideas were presented as to what the topics should be covered.

Welcoming Gay Pride Parade June 12th, They are leading the worship service on June 6th. They have heard from people outside of our church that our welcoming committee is very active. They will be leading a summer service again this year. Planning a summer activity the Indigo girls July 30th in Lowell.

Worship They will be replacing the wireless microphone this month. It was recommended that they get a two channel system so that we can add on a hand held microphone in the future.
There is a team going to a workshop on Lay lead services on June 12 in Milford run by the district.

There were no new Faith in Action grant requests

A discussion regarding the spring training session was held and many ideas were presented as to what the topics should be covered.

Standing Committee

The Standing Committee is the Church's governing board. The Standing Committee works to ensure the vitality of our community of faith. There are 10 members of the Standing Committee – nine voting members elected by the congregation and the minister, who is a non-voting member of the Committee. Standing Committee members serve a 3 year term.

The Standing Committee meets on the second Tuesday of the month at 7:00pm. Time is set aside at the beginning of every SC meeting as an open forum for members to bring forward any issues they would like to discuss.

The Standing Committee is responsible for the health and well being of First Parish. This includes maintaining communication among members and committees, managing Church property, and planning for the Church's short and long-term future. And of course members of the Standing Committee develop and manage the budget approved by the Congregation at the annual meeting.
The Human Resources Committee is a sub-committee of the Standing Committee.