Category: Standing Committee Minutes

Aug 15 2009

July 2009 SC Minutes

STANDING COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES FOR JULY 14, 2009

Attendance: Marybeth Bush, Marcia Allison, Carole Russell, Tom Wight, Ron Deschenes

Carole said there would be no treasurer’s report
Next item on the agenda, was the election of officers for the upcoming year. Ron Deschenes was elected
Chair, and Tom Coffey was elected Vice-Chair.
Ron thanked Carole for her leadership as Chair for the year, and also taking on the role as treasurer last February.
It was also decided to do something for the Sabbatical Committee at the State of the Society meeting on
Sunday, September 20th.
There also needs to be discussion on changing the meeting night for the upcoming year. This will be continued at retreat on Saturday, August 1st.
Jon Rehmus will not be attending the July26th potluck for Ellen. Jon will be leading the service that Sunday,
July 26th.
Carole has access to the Fidelity account, but not the A.G. Edwards account

Adjourned at 7:45, All approved

Respectfully submitted,
Ron Deschenes

Jul 15 2009

June 2009 SC Minutes

FIRST PARISH UNIVERSALIST UNITARIAN CHURCH OF CHELMSFORD

Standing Committee June 9, 2009 7:00 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.

Attendance: Carole Russell, Tom Coffey, Marybeth Bush, Ron Deschenes, Dave Seltz, Tom Wight, Carla Corey, Cornelia Kirkpatrick, Jon Rehmus. For open forum: Chris Sweetnam, Tim O’Hara, Johan Mackenzie

1. Call to order and centering

2. Open forum – Music Committee on sanctuary piano

• Tim O’Hara – Piano Update
1. Funds for the current sanctuary piano were donated by Charlotte DeWolf several years ago and the music director at the time, Pat Moore, selected and purchased it with those funds.
2. Looking into the other pianos.
3. The Standing committee has asked the Music committee to put together a report that lists all options.
• Johan Mackenzie and Chris Sweetnam – Master plan update
Four architects were interviewed last church year among which were Carl Oldenburg and Menders, Torrey & Spencer.
Menders, Torrey & Spencer $16,000 + $1500 master space
Carl $15/hr @ `160 hrs = $17,000 + reimbursements
1. Questions
a. Are the current architects enough to choose from?
b. A vote was held to go to one more architect and make a decision in September
i. All Approved
c. The Standing Committee will meet with MT&S, Carl, and other architect.
d. Other church committees also have to have someone available to work with the architect.
e. It was suggested that we might have to re-organize the committees now if we are going to go forward with the master plan.
• The new sign in front of the church was delayed but is now moving forward.
1. The new sign should be out front by the end of June
• Long Range Planning update
1. Will have $37,796 in funds available for next fiscal year
2. Looking at spending on
a. Architecture review for growth and space
b. Asbestos removal in boiler room
c. New Faith in action grants
d. Steeple repair and painting.
e. Repair of church walkways.
3. Two church doors (front and side) are broken and will be looked at.
4. Johan is thinking about having a book available for people to write down maintanance issues they see in the church. A committee would be formed to address the issues. When issues are addressed it would be indicated in the book.

3. Distribution of materials – Agenda, reports: treasurer, DRE, …
• [ACTION] Carole/Treasurer and Carla/Clerk need to get themselves added as authorized signers on the Fidelity account.

4. Review and approve meeting minutes for May 12
• Meeting minutes will be approved by email. This will be done by email by Friday June 12. [ACTION]
5. New business
 Budget Proposal
o Nursery school and First Parish decided on at 15% increase in rent
o Cell tower two money will be used to balance the budget. Right now the amount is 12K but that may change depending on the finalized budget for FY 2010
o Publicity was decreased because we double counted the phone directory cost.
o We increased the amount we set aside for the needy.
o All members approved that the budget be put before the congregation
 4th of July
o Caroline McMullin has agreed to chair the July 4th budget
o It was proposed to put a booth outside the church on the night of July 3rd with information on the church – [ACTION] Ron Deschenes is going to organize the booth.

6. Review and approve treasurer’s report
• The completed treasurer‘s report was not ready for the meeting
• We have plenty of funds until the end of the year (surplus of 10K)
• We have given Ellen and Sadie all the money that is owed them for their pensions. The money for Ellen did not go into the right place though.
1. Carole Russell is going to contact the UUA to fix this.
• No other reconciliation issues.
• Carole will send out the treasurer’s report for the Standing committee to review.

7. Review Submitted reports:
• Jon Rehmus (Sabbatical Minister)
1. Demands on Jon’s time have been managed well – thanks go to the Sabbatical committee.
2. Days that Jon will be at church have been posted (outside the minister’s study).
3. Jon has worked with pastoral care team to help congregation members who are in on-going crisis.
4. Jon is impressed with how well the church handles its fiscal issues.
5. Jon discussed some ways in which our covenant may or may not be completely followed.
a. The Green committee was concerned with follow up from the covenant retreat because they have not heard about follow up.
b. The business manager plan was delayed because of fiscal issues.
c. The Social action plan was not really followed up on.
d. The Standing committee does feel that the covenant itself has been supported.
6. Jon does feel that the church is preparing itself for committee and organizational changes in the context of growth.
7. Jon wants to make sure that Ellen is warmly welcomed back and wants to make sure the congregation is thinking about that now.
• DRE/RE
1. The last month has been good and Sadie is feeling appreciated and supported.

8. Old business:
 Ellen Spero Performance Appraisal plan – Check-in
• The Standing committee needs to review the Human resource manual and approve it so that the HR committee can start using it. [ACTION] members should review by Friday June 12th.
1. A lot of work went into the new HR manual.
2. [ACTION] Ellen’s appraisal input from SC members should be turned in by June 14th.
3. Carole has reviewed the performance appraisals of the rest of the staff and approved them.
 Rear septic update – Ron – No update (we have not heard from Town Hall), system is running OK right now.
 Old Town hall discussion re space availablity – No update
 Summer retreat – Ron
• Ron has a rough draft of what the SC will do at the summer retreat
1. Centering
2. Team building
3. Chalice lighting for September 13th
4. Talk about second service
5. Year end review
6. Living our covenant
7. Talk about committee restructuring
• Carole wants to make sure we re-covenant with Ellen and also that we talk about committee restructuring.
• Maybe report back to Ellen on what happened while she was gone.
• Ellen can report to us on what she did on her sabbatical.
• Ron will send out a proposed draft for the retreat [ACTION]
 Preparations for the Annual meeting – Carla
• Need to know who is going to moderate. – We will ask Bill Drury if he would like to moderate.
• Vote on new members
• Accept the minutes from January 25th Annual meeting
• Elect officers
• LRP budget
• Recognition of staff and people going off committees as well as 25-year members will happen during the service on June 14th.
• New members and soon to be new members will be recognized during the service.
 LRP re-chartering / combining and possible elected positions Tom Wight Update
• The re-chartering group met and put together a survey which they sent out. They have received 4-5 responses.
• [ACTION] Tom will send out survey to SC members.
• [ACTION] Standing committee members should fill out survey by the end of the month.
• [ACTION] Tom will send out minutes from the re-chartering groups last meeting
 Sabbatical update – Cornelia

Other new Items
 Action Item list update
 Audit and close the books
• We need three people to audit the books (at the end of July)
• Maybe Carla Corey, Deb Grad, Jeanne Thompson – [ACTION] Carla will put together group to review the books, accounting procedures and Financial Statements in preparation for the Annual Report.
 Carla will tell Carol Sano that she can use PayPal to renew domain name.
 We would like to honor Jane Drury and want to start a dialogue on ways to do this, not only for Jane but for other long term members who have given years of service to First Parish. On the same lines we discussed getting a plaque for the tree that was planted in Norm’s name. These items will be picked up on a future agenda after Ellen’s return
 Next Meeting is July 14th
• Talk about Ellen’s Performance Appraisal.
• Election of new standing committee positions.
• Old and new SC members will come to the July meeting
• Plan Ellen’s Welcome Back Celebration.

9. Other staff, subcommittee or liaison reports – none presented
10. Adjourn – All Approved

Next Month Agenda:
• Review of our “covenant”

Future Agenda items:
• Safe Child Policy – Review and update

Action Items
# Action Owner Due Date Status Creation Date
1 Come up with a procedure for checks and balances of the collection plate Carla Oct 7 In Progress Sep 9
2 Plan to insure that LRP is included in audit Carla June (plan) In Progress March
3 Cornelia will work with the Standing committee to put together an intern Minister committee. By next SC meeting Carole August In Progress Oct 08
4 Look into the Good Samaritan law and how it applies to legal issues with serving food in church – will talk to Marybeth April 14 Open March 10
5 Communicate when and how to start interview process to Sadie (start getting resumes but do not conduct interviews until after June 14th Annual meeting). Marybeth June 9th Open May 12
6 Plan food for Standing committee summer retreat Marybeth August 1 Open May 12
7 Carla has to work with Carole on Fidelity signing authority Carla June 21st Open June 9th
8 Approve Standing Committee meeting minutes from May 12 by e-mail All June 12th Open June 9th
9 Ron Deschenes is going to organize the booth in front of the church the night of the July 4th fireworks Ron Deschenes July 3rd Open June 9th
10 Review Human resource manual All June 12th Open June 9th
11 Ellen’s appraisal input sent in. All June 14th Open June 9th
12 Send out a draft agenda proposed for the Standing Committee retreat Ron Deschenes July 7th Open June 9th
13 Send out re-chartering committee survey to SC members Tom Coffey June 12th Open June 9th
14 Fill out survey by the end of the month All June 30 Open June 9th
15 Send out minutes from the re-chartering group’s last meeting Tom Coffey June 12th Open June 9th
16 Put together group to review the books. Carla Corey July 7th Open June 9th

Jun 15 2009

May 2009 SC Minutes

-FIRST PARISH UNIVERSALIST UNITARIAN CHURCH OF CHELMSFORD

Standing Committee May 12, 2009 7:00 p.m. – 9:30 p.m

Attendance: Carole Russell, Tom Coffey, Marybeth Bush, Ron Deschenes, Dave Seltz, Tom Wight, Carla Corey, Cornelia Kirkpatrick, Jon Rehmus

1. Call to order and centering

2. Open Forum

3. Review and approve meeting minutes from April 14 – Approved by all

4. New Business

– Ellen Spero Performance Appraisal
o The SC should try to have Ellen Spero’s appraisal back by June 1st.
o The appraisal should go to Carlene Merrill.
o It would be appreciated if as many examples (of things Ellen has done) can be used.
o Comments from appraisals will be put together by HR into a report that can be reviewed with Ellen when she comes back from Sabbatical.

– Next Fiscal Summit
o It was remarked by Standing Committee members who attended the Fiscal summit that the people who attended worked very well together. The environment was good and a lot was accomplished.
o We have collected $1000 more then last years canvas.
o There is a $20K gap in the money that is available (compared to last year) because of the downturn in the market.
o There is also an extra 19K in the budget making the budget shortfall 39K.
o Merit raises were not recommended.
o The hours for the Religious Education assistant were cut to 8-10 hrs.
 RE committee was happy with the cut in hours because they still got to keep the position.
 The RE committee believes that 8-10 hours of work by the assistant would be very useful.
o Cindy Gist’s extra hours were approved.
o Vote at the meeting was unanimous.
o People at the meeting agreed that the items in the budget were important and they did not want to cut out anything.
o Committees are coming in with smaller budgets to help out.
o We discussed using surplus money from the second cell tower to bridge the 39K gap.
– Canvas update
o We brought in more money in this year’s canvas
o Next year we want to make sure that the pledge campaign does not overlap with any holidays. It is less effective when it does.
– Fiscal budget hearing meeting
o Room has been reserved.
o Budget overview sheet that Carole Russell has put together will be presented.
o Scheduled for Sunday May17th
o Carole Russell will have the budget ready by May 25th.
o The Standing Committee will be to review the budget before church on May 24th.
– Update on rear Septic tank.
o The tank has been emptied but it is in very bad shape
o The trap next to the sink still needs to be dealt with.
o No one remembers when the septic tank was last cleaned.
o The septic started to back up at the May breakfast.
o We are waiting to hear from the town of Chelmsford to see what we will have to do to address the problems with the Septic tank.
– Old Town Hall
o The town of Chelmsford contacted us to see if we could use space in the Old Town Hall
o We talked about maybe using it as temp space
o We even looked at the possibility of purchasing the building.
o If we renovate our current space we can possibly use the Old Town Hall for space.
o Members of the SC will take a tour of the Old Town Hall to look at what space is available.
– Standing Committee Summer retreat
o We will wait until Ellen Spero gets back so that she can attend.
o Want new and leaving Standing Committee members to attend.
o Considering Saturday August 1st.
o Carla will check the date with new members and Joanna Paulson.
o The retreat will take place at Carole Russell’s house.
o Marybeth Bush will be in charge of food.[ACTION]
o Ron Deschenes will draft an agenda. [ACTION]
o Ron Deschenes will add to the Summer retreat agenda a review of the year and how it went (He will just add this to the agenda). [ACTION]
– Annual Meeting
o Carla Corey does not have enough time to get by law change ready by the Annual Meeting.
o By law dates don’t agree with the new church year.
o Basic Agenda:
 Vote on new members.
 Vote on nominees.
 Long Range planning budget presentation.
 Congregational budget presentation.
o Warrant may have to have Septic removal cost added.
o Carla Corey will finalize the warrant by May 24th.
o Ellen usually gives a thank you to outgoing elected officers. Carole Russell will do it this time.
o Carole Russell will also take care of getting a gift of the rest of the staff.
o At one of the last services end of the year gifts will be presented.
– Another Company contacted First Parish about cell Towers
o They want to buy out our cell tower lease.
o They would pay us seven years of payments to take over lease for 40 years. This would be a payment of approximately $375K.
o They might try to add other cell towers.
o Tom Coffey will go through quote in detail and report at next Standing Committee meeting.
– May Breakfast
o Local cable crew came in during the May Breakfast.
– Fire Drill
o First Parish has not conducted a fire drill in some time
o A fire drill needs to be discussed by involved parties: Ushers, RE, house management.
o We agreed that we need to have a Fire Drill in the near future.
o Ron Deschenes is on the emergency response team where he works to can give guidance.
o We can also get suggestions from the Fire Department.
o Cornelia will own this until the end of the year.
o Ron will help Cornelia.
– Nursery
o First Parish is not charging the nursery market rates for the space they use but we have been raising the rent over the past few years.
o Currently the Nursery pays $937/month for nine months for half a day of use.
o Last year the rent was increased by 25%.
o The church has expenses associated with the usage of the space ( heat, water, cleaning) that might cost as much as we are getting in rent (on a per hour basis we are getting about $15/hour.
o 4-5 years ago someone at first Paris looked at what the Market rate was for renting a similar space. We don’t know today what the Market rate is.
o Carla Corey will call Ron Cook and ask what he found when he looked at market rates. [ACTION]
o Carla Corey will contact Cindy Gist to see what the Nursery School’s enrolment is. [ACTION]
o Carla Corey has been given the responsibility to determine the appropriate increase in rent for the nursery school.
– Chair for July Breakfast.
o Cornelia will contact Caroline McMullin about chairing the 4th of July breakfast [ACTION]

5. Review subcommittee reports
– Ministers report
o Jon Rehmus has felt very welcome at First Parish.
o He feels that he is already starting to get to know the people in the church.
o So far everything has gone smoothly.
 Worship services have gone well.
 Jon will be present at all services except for one.
 Jon was impressed with how well the budget discussions went at the financial summit.
 Jon has offered to meet with the staff to give them the opportunity to talk with another minister who has experiences at another church.
 Jon has been involved in six pastoral care situations. He is really just helping the pastoral care committee.
o Jon is concerned with the First Parish Policy on disruptive behavior.
 Jon has experienced bad behavior at other churches and he also mentioned the tragic occurrence at the Knoxville congregation.
 People are very stressed these days which could lead to more disruptive behavior
 Jon thinks that our policy should mention other church members and their role should any disruptive situation occur (for example the ushers can show people to the exits. What does the SC do, etc).
 Jon will check with other ministers to see what they do in these situations
o Jon has put in more hours than he has contracted for.
o Jon has said that he is happy to review and help with special services.

– DRE/RE
o Maura Snow and Tom Coffey have volunteered to be one of the OWL teachers in the coming year.
o Deb Grad has agreed to be the RE chair in the next year.
o Maura Snow has agreed to be the REY chair in the next year.
o Sadie asked when she could start the interview process for the assistant position. She would like to start now even though the position will not be approved until June.
o Sadie wants to know if the Standing Committee would like to be part of the interview team.
o Marybeth Bush as the Standing Committee representative to the RE committee will be part of the interview team for the assistant position.
o The Standing Committee decided it is OK for Sadie to start to get resumes from potential candidates for the RE assistant position as long as it is made clear to these candidates that it is a “potential” position.
o Sadie should not have interviews until after the June 14th meeting.
o Marybeth will communicate when and how to start interview process to Sadie. [ACTION]

6. Review and approve Treasurer’s report
– Carole Russell still needs signature authority from Fidelity.
– The Standing Committee does not know if all of the money set aside for the New Orleans trip was used. It looked like they were close to using all of the money.
– If there is a little money left over from the trip the Standing Committee may ask the people who went on the trip what to do with it.

7. Old Business
– LRP rechartering/ combining and possible elected positions – Tom Wight update (Carol, Tom Wight and Tom Coffey worked on this)
o No update. The team will get together some time in the next week to restart the process
– Action item list update

8. Other staff reports

9. Adjourn – Motion to adjourn – passed by all – 9:48pm

Action Items
# Action Owner Due Date Status Creation Date
1 Come up with a procedure for checks and balances of the collection plate Carla Oct 7 In Progress Sep 9
2 Plan to insure that LRP is included in audit Carla June (plan) New March
3 Cornelia will work with the Standing committee to put together an intern Minister committee. By next SC meeting Cornelia August In Progress Oct 08
4 Find out from LRP what is priority of Kitchen issues and what needs to get done right away. Tom April 14 Closed Dec 9
5 Make sure we publicize getting the new credit card problems with by-laws Carole March 10, 2009 Closed Feb 10
6 Send a Thank you to Chelmsford woman of today Ellen Feb 10 Closed Jan 13
7 Communicate with Jeanne Thompson to let her know what actions are being taken to make sure Kitchen passes inspection. Marybeth April 14 Closed March 10
8 Look into the Good Samaritan law and how it applies to legal issues with serving food in church Marybeth April 14 Open March 10
9 Look into insurance for serving food in church Dave April 14 Closed March 10
10 Give music director a heads up that Farmers market will be going on when she is using the church. Dave April 14 Closed March 10
11 Draft a note to thank Sadie for the work being put into the New Orleans trip Marybeth April 14 Closed March 10
12 Write a note to thank the Sabbatical committee for work they have done on helping prepare for Ellen’s sabbatical Cornelia April 14 Closed March 10
13 Dave will write thank you note to Walter and Johan for the work they did on the new dishwasher and the furnace Dave April 14 Closed March 10
14 Send a thank you to Moira for help with Kitchen Ron Deschenes April 14 Closed March 10
15 Ron and Tom will talk and come up with a plan for the next fiscal summit on May 9th at 9:30 Ron Deschenes and Tom Coffey May 12 Closed April 14
16 Before Fox news is in Green we want to Spruce up the church and maybe get the sign up before hand about may breakfast Joanna May 12 Closed April 14
17 Speak to Sadie about what the Standing committee can do to help out. Ellen May 12 Closed April 14
18 Communicate when and how to start interview process to Sadie (start getting resumes but do not conduct interviews until after June 14th Annual meeting). Marybeth June 9th Open May 12
19 Plan food for Standing committee summer retreat Marybeth August 1 Open May 12
20 Draft an agenda for SC summer retreat Ron Deschenes June 9th Open May 12
21 Add a review of the year and how it went to the SC summer outing agenda (Just add to the agenda) Ron Deschenes June 9th Open May 12
22 Call Ron Cook and ask what he found when he looked at market rates for space that the Nursery uses Carla Corey June 9th Open May 12
23 Contact Cindy Gist to see what the Nursery School’s enrolment is Carla Corey June 9th Open May 12
Contact Caroline McMullin about chairing the 4th of July breakfast Cornelia Kirkpatrick June 9th Open May 12

May 15 2009

April 2009 SC Minutes

FIRST PARISH UNIVERSALIST UNITARIAN CHURCH OF CHELMSFORD

Standing Committee April 14, 2009 7:00 p.m. – 9:48 p.m

Attendance: Carole Russell, Ellen Spero, Tom Coffey, Marybeth Bush, Ron Deschenes, Dave Seltz, Tom Wight, Carla Corey, Cornelia Kirkpatrick, Joanna Paulsen

1. Call to order and centering

2. Open Forum
Church Sign – Chris Boucher – Showed the standing committee the final design for the sign that will go in front of the church.
– The sign will have two lines of pre-printed text.
– It will have double circle rainbow logo.
– The town has approved most of the sign already (PVC, rainbow logo).
– We just have to go back in front of the town one more time.
– Motion made to accept sign as presented by Chris B. Approved by all
– The Church will sponsor a social hour to show the sign to the congregation and get their feedback.
– The sign should be installed in June some time.

3. Review and approve meeting minutes from March 10 – Approved by all

4. New Business

– Ellen Spero Performance Appraisal
o We are going to do an abbreviated appraisal process this year. Ellen would like some feedback.
o Cindy Gist will get Appraisals to Standing Committee members.
o Feedback will be put together while Ellen is on Sabbatical and then reviewed with Ellen in late summer.
o Motion made that the Chair of the Standing committee gets to sign off on performance appraisals – All Approved
– Next Fiscal Summit
o [ACTION]: Ron Deschenes and Tom Coffey will talk and come up with a plan for the next fiscal summit on May 9th at 9:30
o Finance sub-committee will meet a week or two before May 9th to come up with a financial plan once the canvass is in.
– Canvass update
o 61 pledges received so far. (Last year we had 65 at this point, the year before we had 72 at this point)
o We still have 79 pledge units that pledged last year that have not pledged last year.
o Realistically we are looking at $200,000 at most from pledges.
o Canvass committee will have to try to contact people who have not pledged.

– May 1st Fox is doing a live broadcast from the Common (5-9 in the morning) – We want to spruce up the church and maybe get the sign up before hand about may breakfast – [ACTION] Joanna Paulson

5. Review subcommittee reports
– Ministers report
o It has been very intense lately.
o Request was made to move some cubbies used by choir to the left side of the balcony area to make more room (cubbies are too crammed together) – We discussed it and decided that at this point things will stay as they are.
– DRE/RE
o RE Council attendance has been spotty
o Volunteers have backed out of commitments
o New Orleans Mission trip has added extra work for Sadie
o Joan Coyne is stepping down as chair – there is not someone to replace her yet.
o We should encourage Sadie to come to the Standing Committee for help especially while Ellen is on Sabbatical. – [ACTION] Ellen Spero will speak to Sadie about what the Standing Committee can do to help out.

6. Review and approve Treasurer’s report
– Last year the merit increases were overestimated in the budget. They show up in the budget this year as being unspent.
– The youth program coordinator was counted twice.
– We made a mistake and overpaid pensions for the year. Credit will be applied to the next year.
– Move to accept the Treasurer’s report – All Approved.

7. Old Business
– LRP rechartering/ combining and possible elected positions – Tom Wight update (Carol, Tom Wight and Tom Coffey worked on this)
o Back in 2002 Paul Taylor was the lead in “clustering groups”.
o The problem is there is not a clear way to combine committees and get them to move in the same direction
o The group working on this thinks that the physical building master plan should be included in the committee-rechartering plan.
o Each cluster might be lead by a standing committee member.
o We really need someone who can get this started and past the ambiguity of starting.
o At Lexington the standing committee members were taken from clusters from the church. For instance the Finance committee would select a member to be on the standing committee.
o Carole, Tom Wight and Tom Coffey will meet again to try to draft a plan for how they will proceed with this effort. This plan will be more programs based.
– Alternative Service discussion update – Ellen
o Second service time: 6:30
o The services would run for 45 minutes
o Center, Sermon, and Joys and Sorrows are shared across services
o Collection instead of Offertory
o The second service would be Simple, meditative, prayerful, more intentional.
o More prayerful service – silent, quiet gathering – simple acapella hymns/music
o Prayerful, personal space
o More contemporary
o Less formal
 Chapel vs. sanctuary
o Ellen would like to make sure it is a Worship service
– Kitchen Plan – Ron Deschenes
o We got two bids – we decided to go with Metro Clean for $575
o Wash all tile surfaces, wall surfaces, overheads, exhaust hoods
o Three people will do work next Tuesday May 21st.
o Ron Cook is going to touch up tiles that are loose
o Everything needs to be removed off of counter surfaces.
o Johan Mackenzie recommended proactively having board of health come in after we clean the kitchen.
o We replaced the light bulbs so it is brighter in the kitchen.
– Sabbatical, including sabbatical minister (Jonathan Rehmus) – Cornelia
o Pamphlet has been put together explaining what is going on with the sabbatical.
o The Sabbatical committee is still establishing office hours for Sabbatical minister.
o Jon is going to visit on April 23rd and an all-church potluck dinner will be held in the vestry so that the congregation meet and welcome Rev. Jon.
o Standing Committee should pay attention to how everything goes during the Sabbatical so that we can give feedback at the end. The Sabbatical committee will do the same.
o Ellen and Jon will lead the Sunday morning worship service together on April 25th.
o Some newer people think Ellen is going on sabbatical longer than she is and we should give them more attention.
– Second Cell Tower
o What should be our use of the second cell tower money?
 Put it with the first cell tower money?
 Fund capital campaign?
 Target it towards temporary positions – for instance RE assistant?
 The philosophy in the past has been that we should pay for the expenses for the church today with funds from members.
 We will meet again to discuss before the fiscal summit.
– Action item list update

8. Other staff reports

9. Adjourn – Motion to adjourn – passed by all – 9:48pm

Action Items
# Action Owner Due Date Status Creation Date
1 Come up with a procedure for checks and balances of the collection plate Carla Oct 7 In Progress Sep 9
2 Plan to insure that LRP is included in audit Carla June (plan) New March
3 Cornelia will work with the Standing committee to put together an intern Minister committee. By next SC meeting Cornelia March September 09 Oct 08
4 Find out from LRP what is priority of Kitchen issues and what needs to get done right away. Tom April 14 Open Dec 9
5 Make sure we publicize getting the new credit card problems with by-laws Carole March 10, 2009 Open Feb 10
6 Send a Thank you to Chelmsford woman of today Ellen Feb 10 Open Jan 13
7 Communicate with Jeanne Thompson to let her know what actions are being taken to make sure Kitchen passes inspection. Marybeth April 14 Open March 10
8 Look into the Good Samaritan law and how it applies to legal issues with serving food in church Marybeth April 14 Open March 10
9 Look into insurance for serving food in church Dave April 14 Open March 10
10 Give music director a heads up that Farmers market will be going on when she is using the church. Dave April 14 Open March 10
11 Draft a note to thank Sadie for the work being put into the New Orleans trip Marybeth April 14 Closed March 10
12 Write a note to thank the Sabbatical committee for work they have done on helping prepare for Ellen’s sabbatical Cornelia April 14 Open March 10
13 Dave will write thank you note to Walter and Johan for the work they did on the new dishwasher and the furnace Dave April 14 Open March 10
14 Send a thank you to Moira for help with Kitchen Ron Deschenes April 14 Open March 10
15 Ron and Tom will talk and come up with a plan for the next fiscal summit on May 9th at 9:30 Ron Deschenes and Tom Coffey May 12 Open April 14
16 Before Fox news is in Green we want to Spruce up the church and maybe get the sign up before hand about may breakfast Joanna May 12 Open April 14
17 Speak to Sadie about what the Standing committee can do to help out. Ellen May 12 Open April 14

Apr 15 2009

March 2009 SC Minutes

FIRST PARISH UNIVERSALIST UNITARIAN CHURCH OF CHELMSFORD

Standing Committee March 10, 2009 7:00 p.m. – 9:30 p.m

Attendance: Carole Russell, Ellen Spero, Tom Coffey, Marybeth Bush, Ron Deschenes, Dave Seltz, Tom Wight, Carla Corey, Joanna Paulsen, Cornelia Kirkpatrick

1. Call to order and centering

2. Open forum

3. Distribution of materials – Agenda, reports: treasurer, Minister, DRE, …

4. Review and approve meeting minutes for February10
Minutes accepted. All Approved.

5. New business
• LRP rechartering / combining and possible elected positions – Tom Wight Update
• Tom will get material from Paul Taylor that was put together years earlier on possible ways to combine committees at First Parish.
• In 1994 the committee structure was reviewed and some suggestions were given for how things can be restructured.
• Alternative Service discussion – Ellen
o Carla, Ellen, Tom, Cyndi, Sadie, and Joan Keane met to talk about having a second service in the evening.
o They are going to have a meeting on the March 25th to make a proposal
o This group is thinking to start the second service on the second or third Sunday after the return from the summer.
o They want to make sure we don’t end up with two parallel, separate, congregations.
o They want to start with something that is an alternative in the evening and see how it goes and then evaluate at midyear.
o Sadie has a task to work with RE committee to see how RE would work with two services
o Cyndi Bliss is going to touch base with music committee.
o Have to work out Ushers, greeters, etc.
o Look at how to handle nursery services.
o We would lose money from AA unless we can move them.
• Kitchen plan – Ron
o Ron spoke with Moira Gillis (has worked in kitchens and restaurants and has begun attending First Parish) about how our kitchen would do if it were inspected.
o Moira did not see any major issues with the kitchen.
o She said to make sure to keep everything off the floor six inches.
1. Refrigerator.
2. Grease hoods.
o Refrigerators need thermometers to make sure they are in the right temperature range.
o Back room storage area could use more sealed bins for edibles.
o Keep mop and bucket in the kitchen to clean up quick spills (for cleanliness and safety).
o We thought the wood block might be an issue but Moira did not think it would be and neither did Dave Allen (also has experience in this matter). Maybe have a special cutting board for meat that can be easily cleaned. Should not cut meat on the counter.
o Maybe need separate sinks for washing hands and for washing dishes.
o Have instructions posted for cleaning hands, cooking, etc.
o Joanna Paulsen will be included in the group working on the kitchen going forward.
o ACTION: Marybeth will communicate with Jeanne Thompson to let her know what actions are being taken to make sure Kitchen passes inspection.
o Was there an ACTION item for someone to send a thank you to Moira? Maybe it was Ron?
o Two areas of concern.
1. Food prepared at home cannot be sold? We do this all the time (and certainly schools do this as well) so we want to get more information on this. This may be a legal issue and the suggestion was made to maybe have a lawyer look at this.
2. How about food that we cook here and take somewhere else?
3. There is Good Samaritan protection that we get because we’re a church that might help to protect us against lawsuits.
• Next steps
1. Professional cleaners maybe?
a. Clean hood.
b. Steam clean floor.
c. Walter Cole knows a company can clean.
2. ACTION: Marybeth will look into the Good Samaritan law and how it applies to legal issues with serving food in church.
3. ACTION: Dave will look into insurance and how it covers us for serving food.
• Farmer’s Market – Carole
o Starting this summer Chelmsford farmers market on the common every Thursday from 2-6pm.
o They will be done before 7pm
o Offer vegetables, baked goods, etc.
o July 9th through September 24th.
o ACTION: Dave will give music director a heads up that Farmers market will be going on when she is using the church.
o They are looking for volunteers for all kinds of things – contact Peggy Dunn
o Should the Church do anything in support of the Farmers Market?
1. Maybe the Green Committee?
• Letter of call and Performance Appraisal for Ellen – Carole
o Suggestion made to Ellen that we don’t deal with letter of call until Ellen comes back. So that is what we’re going to do.
o For performance appraisal – Suggestion made not to do performance appraisal right now because:
1. No upside for doing it now – Since Ellen is leaving for sabbatical she would not be able to work on suggestions right away. Also it might just serve to worry Ellen right as she is leaving for Sabbatical.
2. While Ellen’s reviews have always been good in general most reviews point out areas of improvement.
3. Would be one less thing Ellen has to deal with (she is very busy preparing for Sabbatical and for New Orleans in April).
4. Ellen would rather skip it now as opposed to have half of an appraisal.
5. Ellen would like to evaluate the sabbatical time and goals when we are back to church in the fall.

6. Review and approve treasurer’s report
• Carole gets a gold star for great transition (from Joanna).
• Carole has given a first shot at entering this year’s budget.
• We use Quick Books for non-Profit to keep our books.
• Carole has not done a full analysis of the budget yet.
• We are ahead of schedule with pledges.
• Carole put together budget vs. actual for July 1 2008 – March 10, 2009 and reviewed with SC.
• Cindy Gist will be paying regular bills (utility bills, etc) going forward.
• Carole’s expectation is that before the fiscal summit on March 21st she will have a first pass at next years budget done.
• Treasurer’s report is approved by all.
• Carole is looking at ways to further automate the budget process.

7. Review Submitted reports:
• Minister
1. Report reviewed by Standing Committee.
2. Ellen is very busy preparing for Sabbatical and for New Orleans trip.
3. 22 people signed up for New Orleans trip.
4. ACTION: Marybeth will draft a note to thank Sadie for the work being put into the New Orleans trip.
• DRE/RE report
1. Report reviewed by Standing Committee.

8. Old business:
• Sabbatical minister – Cornelia
o Have interviewed three candidates for the sabbatical minister and have recommended one of them, Jonathan Rehmus of Colrain MA
o Interview committee was Sandy Johnston, Cindy Gist, Glenn King, and Carole Russell.
o The sabbatical committee thought one of the ministers was good and seemed prepared.
o We have asked for the sabbatical minister to work 10 hours a week
o Standing committee had vote on sabbatical minister as recommended by the Sabbatical committee. All Approved.
o We said we wanted more hours earlier in the sabbatical period (May and June) and fewer hours in July from the minister.
o Ellen spoke to leading candidate for two hours. This candidate knows what it means to be a Sabbatical minister. Candidate seems to like being a Sabbatical Minister.
o ACTION: Cornelia will write a note to thank the Sabbatical committee for work they have done on helping prepare for Ellen’s sabbatical.
• Furnace, Dishwasher updates
o Furnace is all set except there is one room (Chapel Narthex) without heat.
o Dishwasher is all installed. Company has to come out and inspect it and then we have to be trained.
o ACTION: Dave will write thank you note to Walter and Johan for the work they did on the new dishwasher and the furnace.
• Action Item list update
• Fiscal Summit update – Meeting to plan fiscal summit will be held on Sunday Morning the 15th.

9. Other staff, subcommittee or liaison reports
• Church council wanted to know if outgoing publicity communication needs to be checked by SC committee – No it does not as long as it is just an announcement of an event.
• Nominating committee has filled out its roster for June except for one position.
10. Adjourn – All Approved – 9:30

Next Month Agenda:
• Review of our “covenant”

Future Agenda items:
• Safe Child Policy – Review and update

# Action Owner Due Date Status Creation Date
1 Come up with a procedure for checks and balances of the collection plate Carla Oct 7 In Progress Sep 9
2 Plan to insure that LRP is included in audit Carla June (plan) New March
3 Cornelia will work with the Standing committee to put together an intern Minister committee. By next SC meeting Cornelia March September 09 Oct 08
4 Find out from LRP what is priority of Kitchen issues and what needs to get done right away. Tom April 14 Open Dec 9
5 Make sure we publicize getting the new credit card problems with by-laws Carole March 10, 2009 Open Feb 10
6 Send a Thank you to Chelmsford woman of today Ellen Feb 10 Open Jan 13
9 Communicate with Jeanne Thompson to let her know what actions are being taken to make sure Kitchen passes inspection. Marybeth April 14 Open March 10
10 Look into the Good Samaritan law and how it applies to legal issues with serving food in church Marybeth April 14 Open March 10
11 Look into insurance for serving food in church Dave April 14 Open March 10
12 Give music director a heads up that Farmers market will be going on when she is using the church. Dave April 14 Open March 10
13 Draft a note to thank Sadie for the work being put into the New Orleans trip Marybeth April 14 Open March 10
14 Write a note to thank the Sabbatical committee for work they have done on helping prepare for Ellen’s sabbatical Cornelia April 14 Open March 10
15 Dave will write thank you note to Walter and Johan for the work they did on the new dishwasher and the furnace Dave April 14 Open March 10
Action Items

Standing Committee

The Standing Committee is the Church's governing board. The Standing Committee works to ensure the vitality of our community of faith. There are 10 members of the Standing Committee – nine voting members elected by the congregation and the minister, who is a non-voting member of the Committee. Standing Committee members serve a 3 year term.

The Standing Committee meets on the second Tuesday of the month at 7:00pm. Time is set aside at the beginning of every SC meeting as an open forum for members to bring forward any issues they would like to discuss.

The Standing Committee is responsible for the health and well being of First Parish. This includes maintaining communication among members and committees, managing Church property, and planning for the Church's short and long-term future. And of course members of the Standing Committee develop and manage the budget approved by the Congregation at the annual meeting.
The Human Resources Committee is a sub-committee of the Standing Committee.