Category: Standing Committee Minutes

Feb 15 2013

January 2012 SC Minutes

Standing Committee Minutes

January 8, 2012

Called to order at 6:36 pm

In attendance: Rev. Ellen Rowse-Spero, , Ami Hughes, Deirdre Heck, Laura Nutter, Walter Cole, Dave Kaffine, Dee Halzack, David Blackburn and Joan Keane.

Absent: Warren Flewellen,

Spiritual Exploration-Led by Dee. Dave K. will lead in February.

Open Forum:

No items

Balcony Items

1. Continued our conversation on the reasons why we need a new building. We need to reintroduce the reasons to the congregation. It was decided that we would host a pot luck and start having conversations. The pot luck will be held on 2/2/13 at 5:30 in the Vestry. Dee will take care of the advertising, Ami will talk to Dolores and Jill about child care and Joan will make a sign for a table at Coffee Hour. We will start sign-ups at Coffee Hour on 1/20/13. SC decided to call it “Dinner and Dreams-Our Building and Our Faith” and some of the questions we will ask will be: How does our building help us live our faith? How does it hinder us? A motion was made to serve wine. All approved but Laura will check the By-laws and policies to see if necessary.

Dance Floor Items

1. The Treasurer’s Report was approved. A motion was made to move $200 from the SC Discretionary Fund to replenish the Staff Recognition Fund. All approved. The minutes from December were also approved.

2. Staff Reports-no comments or questions. Ellen mentioned that she would be out the last week of the month for a conference in FL.

3. Canvass-Walter asked Tom Coffey to chair the Canvass. Tom is going to get back to Walter on it after he’s given it some thought. Who can be a back up if he declines?

4. Committee Liaisons: Membership-New UU class took place on 1/8. On the 27th there will be a newcomer coffee and on 3/2 the Fellowship Dinner will take place. HR-didn’t meet in December-nothing new to report. Church Council-hasn’t met yet.

5. Timeline-Walter will add some new dates

6. A motion was made to allow Membership to serve wine at the Fellowship Dinner-all approved in favor.

7. Welcoming Faiths-A delegate needs to be found to represent First Parish at the meetings. They meet on the 4th Tuesday of the month and the fee is $100. SC decided that it wasn’t necessary for SC member to be the liaison and that maybe someone from WCC could fill the position. The question was raised as to where the funds to pay the fee would come from-WCC budget or the church. It was noted that WCC could apply for a Faith In Action Grant, but they need to get a representative first. A motion was made to support WCC in becoming a member in the Welcoming Faiths organization. All in favor and approved.

8. The Music Committee would like to accept the keyboard being offered by a board member of TOP. It doesn’t need to be locked up-this way TOP can use it too. It needs to be determined what use the donor intends for it. Walter will find out.

Action Items

– Dee will do the advertising for the pot luck

-Ami will contact Dolores and Jill about childcare for the pot luck

-Joan will make a sign for the table at coffee hour

-Laura will check the bylaws and policies regarding serving alcohol at events

-Walter will update the timeline with new event dates

-Walter will contact TOP regarding the keyboard

Respectfully submitted by:

Ami Hughes

Secretary

Jan 15 2013

December 2012 SC Minutes

Standing Committee Minutes

December 11, 2012

Called to order at 6:30 pm

In attendance: Rev. Ellen Rowse-Spero, , Ami Hughes, Deirdre Heck, Laura Nutter, Walter Cole, Dave Kaffine, Dee Halzack, David Blackburn and Joan Keane. Sitting in as an observer was DRE Dolores Heredia-Wood.

Absent:

Spiritual Exploration-Led by Dave B. Dee will lead in January.

Open Forum:

No items

Balcony Items

Reviewed reasons why we need a new building. Walter presented the Power-Point presentation that was used that showed the architect’s ideas for the building. There were many questions and musings over some of parts of the blueprints. Will be continued.

Dance Floor Items

1. Approved the Treasurer’s Report for November.

2. Approved the minutes for November.

3. Staff and Committee reports: There weren’t any questions related to Staff reports. Ellen added that a group went to a conference and that they would like to speak with us at some point regarding what they got out of the conference.

4. Canvass had a meeting and came up with a list of ideas and questions. A Chair needs to be found. John Schneider expressed an interest in helping out. Dave B. brought up the thought that new people need to be educated about what the Canvass is about and what needs to be done when it’s a first Canvass. Ellen brought up that education needs to be all the time, not just during Canvass. Should we have a link on our website?

5. Donation of a portable keyboard: Dave K. will find out if there is a place to keep it-it is a donation to FP from a board member of Table of Plenty. We do have one already but Dave will ask.

6. Liaison Update: Membership is going well. Fellowship dinner maybe in March. Nominating-writing letters to Tier 1 candidates. They will go out in January. Church Council: Deirdre set up Google Docs so committees can update their info.

7. Review timeline: changes from last month were made-no other changes this month.

8. Intruder policy: Talked about last month-nothing new to discuss.

Action Items-No action items this month

Respectfully submitted by:

Ami Hughes

Secretary

Nov 20 2012

November 2012 SC Minutes

Standing Committee Minutes

November 13, 2012

Called to order at 6:30 pm

 

In attendance:  Rev. Ellen Rowse-Spero, , Ami Hughes, Deirdre Heck, Laura Nutter, Walter Cole, Dave Kaffine, Dee Halzack, David Blackburn and Joan Keane.  Sitting in as an observer was DRE Dolores Heredia-Wood.

 

Absent:  Warren Flewellen,

 

Spiritual Exploration-Lead by Laura. Dave B. will lead in December.

 

Open Forum:

No items

 

Balcony Items

  1. Review all church retreat:  SC agreed it was a success.  Is this something we want to do annually?  If so, we would need to start working on it after the holidays.  Is once a year too much?  Should we have one with another church?  We will revisit in January.
  2. Finance Council-There wasn’t much to report.  Walter is working on setting up a meeting with all the players .  He plans to work on it in the beginning of 2013.
  3. Progression of Vice Chair-Deirdre has signed up as Vice Chair and will stay an extra year to Chair.

 

Dance Floor Items

  1. Approved the Treasurer’s Report for October.
  2. Staff and Committee Reports-Ellen’s was longer than usual as she put her goals in.  It’s also been a busy fall for ministerial duties.
  3. Dolores’s installation will be on December 9.
  4. The town is rededicating the clock on November 24.  Walter will send Cindy G. the info to inform the congregation.
  5. Walter is meeting with past Chairs of the Canvass on December 5 to discuss strategy.  The Canvass will kick off on 4/7/13.
  6. Due to various circumstances the Vestry piano was damaged.  Cindy Bliss has advised that she believes some of the damage was from the construction in the Vestry over the summer and the repair expense shouldn’t all come out of the music budget.  Church Council brainstormed ideas so that it can still be used in the future but is protected.  One of the ideas was to purchase  a piano dolly and dust cover.
  7. Liaison Updates:  Membership had a newcomer tea and 4 or 5 people attend.  No issues to report at this time.  Nominating is doing well and are ahead of schedule.  They will be sending out letters in December.  They need to know the term of officers and the clerk.  Ami will send the info to Warren.  HR is working on an HR manual.  REC is starting a conversation on having a CORI process for the higher grade classes.  A meeting was held with the HR Committee, DRE and Minister at which Dolores was given feedback and told that she would move to full time employment.  Church Council was run by Carlene Merrill and focused on leadership and mentoring.
  8. Timeline review- A few changes were made :  The 1st Congregational Conversation will be on 1/6/13, the 2nd will be on 3/17/13, there is no COA service on 6/2/13 so Welcoming Congregation will lead it.  We will need to schedule a September meeting before June 9.  Walter will make the changes to the timeline.
  9. Ellen shared information that she received from another area church.  An intruder came into the church and disrupted the service and had to be escorted out.  In the event that such an incident should happen at FP the staff came up with a plan.  Ellen reminded us that we already had a disrupter policy but that it was more for someone in the service.
  10. The congregation needs to be reintroduced to the Architectural Interface Team (AIT), but SC needs to talk about it first.  Walter will try to get info together by the next meeting.
  11. Paul Windt, Joanna Paulson, Richard Surko, Walter, Caroline McMullin, Carlene Merrill and Edith Murphy will be meeting to discuss a policy for the kitchen.
  12. Bad weather policy-the town doesn’t want us to advertise as being open when bad weather hits.  We will open but will only let the congregation know.

 

Action Items

– Laura is going to contact Tom Coffey to see if he has a copy of the minutes from the last two meetings.  – Walter is going to check the meeting dates for the committees that need liaisons

– Walter will get a copy of LRP’s budget before the 9/23 meeting  Dates have not been set yet.  Walter waiting to hear from Chris Sweetnam.

-Walter to set up meeting for anyone that may be involved in a Finance Council in the new year.

-Walter will ask Cindy Gist to let everyone know about the clock rededication.

-Ami to send the terms of the officers to the Nominating Committee.

-Walter will make the changes to the timeline as discussed.

-Walter will gather information about the AIT.

 

Respectfully submitted by:

Ami Hughes

Secretary

Nov 15 2012

October 2012 SC Minutes

Standing Committee Minutes

October 9, 2012

Called to order at 6:30 pm

In attendance: Rev. Ellen Rowse-Spero, , Ami Hughes, Deirdre Heck, Laura Nutter, Walter Cole, Dave Kaffine, Dee Halzack, Warren Flewellen, and Joan Keane. Sitting in as an observer was DRE Dolores Heredia-Wood.

Absent: David Blackburn

Spiritual Exploration-Laura will lead in November.

Open Forum:

No items

Dance Floor Items

1. Treasurer’s Report-Reviewed and motion made to accept it.

2. DRE laptop- It has been requested that a laptop be purchased for Dolores. It can come out of the IT budget and will cost around $800. Dave K. asked that HR think about a policy for staff members going forward.

3. Ellen asked if she could charge the fees for a workshop for she and Dolores to attend. Ellen’s expense will come out of her Professional Expenses fund, SC will pay for Dolores out of the Discretionary Fund. A motion was made to use up to $300 to send Dolores to the workshop in Boston. All approved.

4. Credit Card policy-Reviewed the policy. Cindy Gist will be the card holder for the church. Ellen recommended Cindy read the policy to see where there may be pitfalls. Motion made to accept. All approved. The next step will be to find a credit card company.

5. Staff reports-no comments, but it was noted that the cell phone people were here today but Cindy Bliss didn’t know they were coming. We need to work on communication issues.

6. Liaison Update-Warren will go to the Nominating meeting in October. Church Council has its first mini class and it went well. Membership is off on a strong start. There will be a newcomer tea on 11/4. HR is a sub-committee of the SC and a SC member needs to be on HR-Dave K will see if he can do it.

7. Canvass-Walter will be the liaison. He will reach out to former chairs to work on canvass this year.

8. Cancelling the Congregational Conversation on 11/18 as it’s too soon.

Balcony Items

We finalized the SC Covenant and approved it. We will plan to do a chalice lighting and read it to the congregation then publish in the Shooting Star. It will need to be sent to Cindy by the beginning of November in order for it to be published on time.

Walter made a chart showing the breakdown of income and who has been responsible for what in regards to fundraising. Do we have a Ways and Means Committee that can create a Financial Committee? We should start with having a meeting of all groups involved. Groups need to know how we are connected and how can we show accountability?

Ellen asked if we could include Estate Planning as we don’t do anything to encourage it.

The question was asked if the July 4 breakfast should continue to come out of the budget? What is the goal of it? Fundraising or community relations?

Action Items

– Laura is going to contact Tom Coffey to see if he has a copy of the minutes from the last two meetings. – Walter is going to check the meeting dates for the committees that need liaisons

– Walter will get a copy of LRP’s budget before the 9/23 meeting Dates have not been set yet. Walter waiting to hear from Chris Sweetnam.

Respectfully submitted by:

Ami Hughes

Secretary

Sep 11 2012

September 2012 SC Minutes

Standing Committee Minutes
September 11, 2012
Called to order at 6:31 pm

In attendance: Rev. Ellen Rowse-Spero, David Blackburn, Ami Hughes, Deirdre Heck, Laura Nutter, Walter Cole, Dave Kaffine, Dee Halzack, Warren Flewellen (via Skype), and Joan Keane. Sitting in as an observer was DRE Dolores Heredia-Wood.

Open Forum:
No items

Dance Floor Items

Treasurer’s Report:
It was decided that Ami will send minutes to Cindy and Dave will send the Treasurer’s Report to Cindy after the SC has approved them.

Reviewed the FY 11/12 report. There weren’t any questions. Motion made to approve the Treasurer’s Report for FYE 6/30/12. All approved in favor.

Reviewed first two months of FY 12/13 reports. There weren’t any questions. Motion to approve Treasurer’s Report for FY 12/13. All approved in favor.

Reviewed the fiscal year 12/13 budget. A motion was made to approve the budget proposal to present to the congregation on September 16. All approved in favor.

A motion was made to move current balances from accounts 2410, 2779, 2781, and 2783 into account 2777, and to accrue all future interest from the Fidelity account into account 2777. All approved in favor.

A motion was made to distribute the final FY12 surplus amount as indicated on the Treasurer’s Report. All approved in favor.

Staff Report Review:
There were no questions related to the staff reports sent out by Cindy or Ellen

Ellen reported that the staff was going on a field trip on 9/12.Ellen is on her 10th year. The congregation is going to need to start having a conversation on where we’re going and the future.

State of the Society meeting:
Walter is going to ask Deb Grad to be the moderator.
Laura is going to contact Tom Coffey to see if he has a copy of the minutes from the last two meetings.

High School group:
Kathy and Bonnie would like to create a labyrinth in the back yard by mowing the pattern in the grass. SC has no issues with this request. A vote was not needed.

Liaisons:
There are still some committees that need to have a liaison assigned to them. They are Nominating, HR, and Canvass. Walter is going to check the meeting dates for these committees. Depending on the meeting dates, Warren may do Nominating or Canvass and Joan or Dave K. will do HR.

All church retreat:
SC is hosting a retreat on 10/20 at All Saints Episcopal church from 9-3. Lunch and childcare, if needed, will be provided. Suzanne Wilson is contacting the caterer.

SC needs to:
Get people to sign up
Make posters
Write blurb for publications (Laura volunteered)
Set up table at coffee hour for people to sign up (Deirdre volunteered)

SC signed up to host coffee hour on November 18th. Ami will coordinate.

Credit card policy:
Dave has a policy written up and will bring it to the next meeting for approval. Ellen will sign the contract.

Welcome and announcements:
Warren 9/16
David 9/23

Briefly discussed Ellen’s sabbatical and the need to plan for one in the future.

Faith In Action Council asked to be advanced $300 to buy fair trade coffee, tea, chocolate and cocoa to sell at coffee hour. Motion was made to advance $300. All approved in favor.

LRP budget:
Walter will get before the 9/23 meeting

Balcony Items

SC started working on a covenant. We reviewed the covenant written a couple of years ago and made some changes. Deirdre will continue to work on it and will send out a first version to which edits will be added. We will approve on a final version at a future meeting.

Meeting adjourned at 8:50

Action Items

  • Walter is going to ask Deb Grad to be the moderator for the State of the Society meeting on 9/23. Laura is going to contact Tom Coffey to see if he has a copy of the minutes from the last two meetings.
  • Walter is going to check the meeting dates for the committees that need liaisons
  • For the All Church Retreat SC needs to:
    • Get people to sign up
    • Make posters
    • Write blurb for publications (Laura volunteered)
    • Set up table at coffee hour for people to sign up (Deirdre volunteered)
  •  Dave has a Ccedit card policy written up and will bring it to the next meeting for approval.
  •  Walter will get a copy of LRP’s budget before the 9/23 meeting
  •  Deirdre will continue to work on the revised SC covenant and will send out a copy for review.

Respectfully submitted by:
Ami Hughes
Secretary

Standing Committee

The Standing Committee is the Church's governing board. The Standing Committee works to ensure the vitality of our community of faith. There are 10 members of the Standing Committee – nine voting members elected by the congregation and the minister, who is a non-voting member of the Committee. Standing Committee members serve a 3 year term.

The Standing Committee meets on the second Tuesday of the month at 7:00pm. Time is set aside at the beginning of every SC meeting as an open forum for members to bring forward any issues they would like to discuss.

The Standing Committee is responsible for the health and well being of First Parish. This includes maintaining communication among members and committees, managing Church property, and planning for the Church's short and long-term future. And of course members of the Standing Committee develop and manage the budget approved by the Congregation at the annual meeting.
The Human Resources Committee is a sub-committee of the Standing Committee.