Interim Music Director – First Parish Unitarian Universalist Chelmsford
First Parish Unitarian Universalist Chelmsford
2 Westford Street
Chelmsford, MA 01824
Thank you for your interest in First Parish! This position has now been filled.
The Interim Music Director will fill the role of Music Director during the 2014-2015 church year, as the congregation engages in reflection and discernment about the direction and long term requirements of the music program and the Music Director position.
The Music Director is responsible for delivering a vibrant music program that serves the spiritual needs of the congregation, by choosing and integrating music into church worship services, directing and accompanying church choirs, and fostering an appreciation for and interest in music among the congregation.
The Interim Music Director is a part-time (approximately half-time) position, requiring 25 hours / week for 44 weeks from August 25, 2014 – June 28, 2015. The salary range is $20,900 - $24,200, based on skills and experience.
- Provide organ and piano music, direct and accompany the choir(s) at regularly scheduled Sunday services, two Christmas Eve services, and a Maundy Thursday service
- Select and perform appropriate musical pieces for each service as planned in collaboration with the Minister and other professional staff
- Plan and conduct weekly rehearsals for senior choir, youth choir(s), and handbell choir
- Arrange for the care and maintenance of the church's musical instruments – pipe organ, 4 pianos, 3 octaves of handbells
- Arrange for substitutes to cover planned absences
- Prepare monthly reports on music program and attend to other administrative tasks such as maintaining music library
- Provide music at weddings and funerals for separate stipend, with right of first refusal; assist in securing substitute if unavailable
- Bachelor's degree or higher in music preferred, or equivalent experience
- Professional training and experience in vocal and instrumental music and conducting
- Experience in keyboard accompaniment
- Experience in planning music for worship services in collaboration with clergy
- Involvement with professional groups such as UU Musicians Network, American Guild of Organists, American Choral Directors Association, Handbell Musicians of America, the Choristers Guild, or the American Choral Directors Association.
- Ability to cultivate musical talent and interest across generations in the congregation
- Ability to be a key collaborator in creating energetic, inspiring, and thematically integrated worship service
- Strong skills in communication, ability to maintain friendly and effective communication with staff, volunteers, and members of congregation
- Strong skills in problem solving, organization, and collaboration
- Strong musical skills: ability to sight-read, and to accompany and conduct music at the same time
- Knowledge of a broad range of musical genres.
- Knowledge of Unitarian Universalist history, values, musical traditions, and current musical practices desirable
Accountable to the Standing Committee (governing board) with direct supervision by the Minister.
Music Director Search Committee
First Parish UU Chelmsford
2 Westford St. Chelmsford, MA 01824