Rev. Ellen and Lifespan Faith Formation Director Dolores are excited to invite you into the spirit of Hope, Peace, Joy and Love for the holidays. These special gatherings will be on December 7th, 14th and 21st at 4pm. They will begin with a UU Advent service at 4pm and will be followed by a community outreach activity. With these special Advent Gatherings we will be honoring our UU Covenental source: Jewish and christian teachings which call us to respond to God's love by loving our neighbors as ourselves.
December 14th: Joy
The second weekwe will be reflecting on the Joy (and sorrows) of the holy family and community. We will be making Emergency Food Boxes for fire victims, through the Wish Project. The Wish Project works with many housing and emergency relief agencies to assist victims of fires, small disasters, and sudden homelessness all year long. People tend to be in shock after a disaster when they find themselves suddenly with no home. Wish Project provides emergency boxes for social service cases where no other source of food is available. This week we will also be making holiday cards for the Concord Prison Project.
We will be filling bins with the following items. Please only bring specific items on the list. Whatever items you can bring that are on this list will be very much appreciated: Thank you!
The bins are meant to be easy to use as possible with reasonable balanced nutrition and suitable to appeal to a wide ethnic and age range. Each box supports a family of 4 for 3 days in a hotel w/ microwave but no refrigerator. Here is what we need to fill the boxes.
- Manual can opener (used are fine but traditional models not camping or safety ones)
- Box of Ritz, Club or other bland crackers (store brands are fine for all contents)
- Box of Cheerio type cereal
- Apple juice 64 oz
- 2 cans corn (plain not creamed)
- 2 cans green beans
- 1 can pineapple or peaches
- 2 cans of vegetable or chicken soup
- 6 pack single apple sauce in plastic cups
- 4 pack pudding cups (ready to eat cups)
- Canned fruit-single serve (plastic cups or canned)
- Can of nuts
- Soup/noodles – 1 box of 6 cups (Cup of Noodles type preferred-dehydrated in a cup) NOT the package kind that requires a pot and stove.
- Box of 6 packs of microwave popcorn
- 2 cans of tuna, foil packs are fine but are more expensive
- Box of microwave Easy Mac (6 individual-serve type NOT the stove top variety)
- Jar of Peanut butter
- Squeezable jelly
- Box of pasteurized milk
- 10 paper plates
- 10 napkins
- 10 paper or Styrofoam bowls 12-16oz size
- 8 sets of plastic cutlery/box (these can be repackaged into sets and put into a Ziploc bag)
December 21st: Love
The last week, December 21st, we will be celebrating Love, the nativity! We will be collecting for the Wish Project New Year, Newborn Kits. These kits are given to first time mothers with all the basics for a newborn to thrive in that first week while mom gets connected to social services.